rMBP 13 or 15 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gigapocket1, Jun 7, 2013.

1. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

I just sold my 15" rMBP for 2k. It had 8 gigs of ram and 512 ssd. I really wanted the new processors as well as 16 gigs of ram. although i've read reports that 8 and 16 gigs of ram doesnt make to much of a difference when you are dealing with the rMBP and ssd.

My question is, now I also have 27 inch iMac as well as a 27 inch thunderbolt display.
    I do alot of everything. From ios programming, to web design, to photography. I'm more of a good at everything but great at nothing kind of person. Very techy..
    Anyways. I dont know what to do. I originally left my iMac at home in Memphis while I was in orlando and just used the thunderbolt display when i needed a bigger screen. Now that I have officially moved to Orlando, I have my iMac (16 gigs of ram, 2.93 i7) as well as the display. I really want a laptop. Should i just drop my iMac and just get another 15"rMBP or keep the iMac. I just don't know how it will fit into my workflow. I could also sell the iMac and get another thunderbolt display and daisy chain. I need suggestions. What do you guys use and/or what would u guys do.

2. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

It depends on how much horsepower you want.

Why did you sell your 15" rMBP? The Haswell version has not even launched yet. What will you do if Apple decides to launch it later this year?

Anyway, the 13" and the 15" rMBP are two different laptops. Do you want portability? Or do you prefer a larger screen and more horsepower?

3. Robster3 macrumors 68000

We have both a 2013 15" and a 13" both base models. For basic use there is no difference i can see. The 13" is great for moving around the house which is my wife's. My 15" spends most of its time on my desk. I have a 09 27" imac too and much prefer the 15" Retina, the imac is just for tv/movies/ live webcasts now. MBPr for everything else.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

Well the new processors are only supposed to be more energy efficient, not really any faster, so don't expect a big change in speed, especially since you mentioned the difference between 8 gb and 16 gb is not much.

Why don't you get something touchscreen since you already have an imac?

5. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

defo 15" rMBP, the 13" is seriously underpowered...at least for the current early 2013 model.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the 15" rMBP is a better choice then the 13" rMBP but then I've used 13" laptops and found them too small.

As for your iMac vs. getting a laptop - do you need a mobile solution? If so then yeah the 15" rMBP is a better choice. If not then the 27" iMac is a great machine.

What are you planning on using this for, you may not need the extra horsepower that Haswell brings to the table and the iMac may be more machine for your needs

7. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really only sold my 15 inch because I was just trying to see what I could get for it. I knew going prices was around 16-1800.. Was able to talk up the guy to 2k.. I know that I can go back and get a refurb for 2100 with the same specs that I have except with 16 gigs of ram vs 8 gigs of ram.. Which isnt bad.

I know haswell isnt to much of a difference as well. I'm just kind of stuck. Most of the time I always had my 15 inch hooked up to my 27 inch. Rarely did i take it of the house except when I travel (which can be a bit).

As for touchscreen. i do have both iPad 3rd gen and an iPad mini..

But like i said earlier.. I do alot of everything. iOS programming, html, photoshop, FCP..

8. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

If you like that ThunderBolt display, and you prefer larger screens... you're going to have a hard time staring down at a 13" MacBook Pro with Retina (or without). Try looking at one for a while. It's painful. The resolution isn't there.

9. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

If you don't know, how are we supposed to suggest what's best for you?

What confuses me more than anything is that you just sold your rMBP and then say you really want a laptop.

I'd suggest seeing a doctor perhaps?

10. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

That's a good one.

11. gigapocket1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was saying I don't know how the iMac will fit into workflow

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

How can total strangers in a forum even pretend to know your workflow? We aren't you. :confused:

13. hockeyfanatic macrumors member

I've been going over this for a long time.

I think best value option is between 15 pro or 11/13 air.

I've been wanting rmbp 13 initially and kept that thought until recently.

The lack of quad on 13 disqualifies it from pro in by book.

If you require 13 and don't mind spending more on the 13pro, you won't get the best value, but you will get what you want.

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Seriously underpowered for what? I do everything on it including photo processing and videos. Is the 15" faster? Yes. But I tried one and other than batch processing the difference is not much.

15. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

handling photos with resolution above 4k, i find it laggy while trying to process large amount of layers at the same time.

16. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Being slower than the fastest machine available does't make it too slow. According to this forum, nobody did any professional work until quad cores and the fastest discrete GPUs were invented. Everything is relative and some find the far more portable 13" to be better than larger machines for those reasons. If pure speed were the issue, I'd never get any of the laptops, but a maxed out desktop machine.