rMBP 13" or 15"? Thanks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robin0627, Oct 31, 2012.

1. robin0627 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I am now considering buying a new laptop and i will probably go for a retina macbook pro. I am an university student and I have to carry a laptop everyday. I used to bring my 2009 white macbook to school but I found that it is too heavy to be carried in my backpack.

The new 13 inch rMBP that I have been waiting for looks great as it is light and can well satisfy my needs (mostly web-browsing, watching hd videos, doing assignments...) But the point is that its price cannot be justified. I can pay 500 more to get a 15 inch one with better speaker, processors, a discrete graphic card and double storage. But I cannot fully utilise the machine, though I may play games like bf3 via bootcamp, and it may be too big to be packed in my bag.

I will not consider the other laptops without the retina display so I am now torning between the two machines. Can you guys offer me some advice? Thanks:)

2. coolstuff92 macrumors newbie

This sort of comes down to the gaming end of things. You could get an Air which probably would play BF3 on low-mid settings at a decent frame rate, and that would solve your portability issue, since your other tasks would be easily managed by the Air. However, if you want to do any high end gaming at all, the 15" retina is the way to go, assuming you want to/have to buy before the next generation of retina MBP's. As you've summised, the 13" retina would do the job for you, but at the price point it's very low value for money in comparison to the 15".

EDIT: Didn't see your statement about not considering other laptops. Yeah in that case get a 15" retina. I'm basically in the same position as you (although I am currently using an older macbook), and I'm getting a 15" retina.

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Since you're limiting yourself to retina, the choice between the two is easy.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say if you don't mind the larger size, the 15" is a better deal since you get more computer for not much more $$. The deciding factor, is the size, do you really need/want a 13" laptop, if so then get the 13" rMBP otherwise go for the 15" rMBP

5. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

The only real question you have to ask yourself in your situation is.. is the added portability worth the extra dollars? Since you won't be doing gaming (I'm assuming since you didn't mention it) and won't really take full advantage of the 15 inch performance anyway this is the only thing which matters.

I know for me it was worth it since I can't stand the 15 inch size. Too cumbersome for lap, bag carrying in one hand, etc! I know this because I had to use both. This is also mostly around the home, if I was still in uni it would be a no-brainer. No way I'd go for 15 inch since it won't fit on most lecture stools and desks and would be too heavy and would require me getting a bigger bag.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd go with the 13" model, because the 15" rMBP is only half of a pound lighter than the MacBook you had previously that you felt was too heavy.

7. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

The HD4000 is probably not the best gaming card, especially for bf3 where every frame counts.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If you like paying more for less then go for it. Sure it makes sense, if you don't think about it.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If you plan on playing BF3, the 15" is the only option. The integrated intel graphics are not designed for gaming.

10. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I have the 15" and love it. I don't think its that heavy at all and I carry it around a lot in a tote. viewing movies on it is so much better.

If you're that concerned about weight, get an ipad or the macbook air.

11. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

If you do or want to do any gaming then the 15" is a must.

If not then the decison is really what size you like.

12. robin0627 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice from all of you guys. I finally bought the 15 inch model with a samsung display, which has no image retention. Quite satisfied with its performance though I discovered a tiny dent near the magsafe 2:(

13. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Congrats! Better the charger than the computer :rolleyes:

14. coolstuff92 macrumors newbie

Awesome! I'm going out to the Apple store to get mine today :)

15. robin0627 thread starter macrumors member

the computer...:(