Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
I'll be getting an Haswell 13 inch rMBP, probably a maxed out one because I'll be keeping the mac for 4-5 years.
I'm not very informed on microprocessors though, do you think we will see a quad core 13 anytime soon?
In that case a can go with a lesser model now and upgrading earlier.
Thank you :)

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I'll be getting an Haswell 13 inch rMBP, probably a maxed out one because I'll be keeping the mac for 4-5 years.
I'm not very informed on microprocessors though, do you think we will see a quad core 13 anytime soon?
In that case a can go with a lesser model now and upgrading earlier.
Thank you :)

I doubt it. They do the refreshes once a year so most likely you will have to wait until next year if you want quad core.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The just updated the line, so I'd say the odds are slim at seeing a quad core. Plus they want to differentiate the 15 and 13" lines and dual core vs. quad core is a nice dividing line.

Giano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
Thank you all!
That's what I was thinking, next year would be soon enough to me to spend a little less money now and upgrading.
I just feared the 13 inch quad core would never be with us :)

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
13in isn't to small, the Razer Blade laptops is very close in thickness and has a Quadcore. I think it just used as a reason to get the 15in laptops.

Personally I'd like to see Intel start making mobile 6 core chips that could be an option on the high end 15in, and then let quads get into the 13in. I'd also like to see the i3 in the lower end Air to save even MORE on battery and cost.

For most people an i3 would fit their needs, and an i7 is over kill. I wonder what sales would look like on an i3 $800 Air.

Giano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
I just feared that as a reason to differentiate the 13 and 15 lines, this will continue over the next years.
And I don't know, from a technical point, whether a quad core in a 13 inch would create heat, battery issues...

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I just feared that as a reason to differentiate the 13 and 15 lines, this will continue over the next years.
And I don't know, from a technical point, whether a quad core in a 13 inch would create heat, battery issues...

The quad-core CPUs in the 15-inch are 47W. Apple just switched from 35W to 28W in the 13". 35W quad-core CPUs are available, but likely too expensive for Apple to put in the 13" when they saved so much money sticking with a dual-core and forcing quad-core buyers to get the more expensive 15-inch.

I think Apple wants to keep the CPUs in the 13" under 30W. So we can hope for next year. I would have loved to seen Iris Pro in the 13", but thus that's only for quad-core parts.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I would like to have seen quad core in the 13 but over all I'm pretty happy with the performance. It still has hype threading so it pseudo quad core.

jondunford

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Going for a poo Moderator
i would buy a 13" with 15" specs if they charged the same price as the 15"

they brought the iPad mini specs (and price) up to be equal with the full size iPad so maybe they will follow this

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
13in isn't to small, the Razer Blade laptops is very close in thickness and has a Quadcore. I think it just used as a reason to get the 15in laptops.

Personally I'd like to see Intel start making mobile 6 core chips that could be an option on the high end 15in, and then let quads get into the 13in. I'd also like to see the i3 in the lower end Air to save even MORE on battery and cost.

For most people an i3 would fit their needs, and an i7 is over kill. I wonder what sales would look like on an i3 $800 Air.

Just posted on this. I'd love say a 2.4GHz 6-core i7 with 15MB's of cache in a 15 or even 17" rMBP...if they ever brought back a 17" in the form of a rMBP I could see a 6-core option with an Nvidia Quadro mobile. Never understood why Apple never used the i3 in the airs...Man 6-cores would rip through tasks...I can honestly say 6cores/12threads is perfect for a mobile video editing laptop like a rMBP and I wouldn't ask for more than that.

donato

Suspended
Jun 3, 2008
I also really want the quad but in the 13". Probably the main reason I'm going to wait another year. Hopefully they will make it available then...

koppie644

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011

The focus of Apple and Intel is on the GPU which share the same TDP as the processors. Instead of packing more cores in the 13inch, they would prioritize a better on-die GPU. I guess Iris 6xxx would be at least 1.5 times faster

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.