rMBP 13' question & advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JakeJLF, Mar 4, 2015.

1. JakeJLF, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015

JakeJLF macrumors member

JakeJLF

I have an iMac 21.5 inch from 2010. It's the base model. It has an i3 3.06 GHz, 4GB RAM, and a 500GB HDD. And it's running Yosemite.

50% of my use is video editing. No, I'm not a pro who makes 2-hour films and uses After Effects. I am just a teenage youtuber who makes stop-motion animated videos. Ever since I downgraded to Yosemite, iMovie has gotten awful. With videos longer than about 3 minutes, I try to render it and it beachballs for 2-3 minutes then crashes(works the second time though). And whenever I start iMovie, it takes 2-5 minutes, it's painful, and it beachballs all the time.

My question is, (in the future, not now, (can't afford anything)) would an rMBP 13' be good for my use? I normally make short films that are 1-2 minutes long. Sometimes I make action films that are 3-4 minutes long. I normally have multiple sound effects, and sometimes in my action films, green screen footage. I only use iMovie, but it's still slow.

So.. should I try to get a new Mac later? Upgrade my current? I would really like to try a different form factor....and dat retina tho. (and I REALLY don't want a 15 inch btw)

2. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Yes you will be fine with a 13" rMBP.

Why do you said you downgraded your iMac? Also, you should look into doing a factory restore on your iMac if you had upgraded from Mountain Lion to Yosemite without a fresh install...

3. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Which version of iMovie are you using? The latest isn't very good. The older version would still be on your drive.

4. Paradoxally macrumors 65816

"Upgrade" to Mavericks. Yosemite is terrible.

5. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

Idk...

How can I do that? When I had Mavericks, my mac was silky smooth and iMovie was awesome. I wish I could

----------

It's not the design or features, it's bugs and lag.

6. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Again, have you done a fresh install on your iMac?

7. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

No

nope.

8. kage207 macrumors 6502a

Then you should try it out.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Question for OP:
    How full is your hard drive?

Some thoughts:
    Both Yosemite AND Mavericks seem to require an SSD for decent performance.

Yosemite and Mavericks "run" on SSD's, but it's more like they're reduced to "walking" when operating from HDDs, in many cases.

It's my opinion (and mine only) that if you want to keep using the 2010 iMac, you'd probably do best to "drop back" to OS 10.8.5 "Mountain Lion" if that iMac will handle it.

I believe the performance improvements you'd notice from such a "downgrade" would be immediately noticeable and pleasing.

Other alternatives:
    - Add an SSD internally. But opening an iMac and doing the replacement is not a job for the feint-at-heart.
    - Add an SSD in a firewire800 external enclosure. Boot times may not improve noticeably, but I sense that once up-and-running, performance would be better.

Yes, a new retina MacBook -will- give you a noticeable upgrade in performance....

10. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I would wonder what your RAM usage is when you see the beachballs. I would wager you are under memory pressure and paging during those times.

Upgrading to 8 or even 16GB of RAM should be between $50-$150. Even if you're just going to keep it as a second machine that is the easiest upgrade that would potentially give it some breathing room.

11. JakeJLF thread starter macrumors member

JakeJLF

I have 225GB left out of 500GB.