rMBP 13" rattling sound/problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cherrysftw, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Cherrysftw macrumors member

I bought my first MacBook in store 1 week ago and love the machine to bits. But I have found a few problems, the caps lock key feels really week. It makes creaking sounds and seems loose, sometimes doesn't register the key when I press the right half.
    Also, I heard a rattling sound when moving the laptop, and reproduce this same sound when shaking the laptop sideways gently. Is this a natural occurrence in these laptops?
    Lastly I've noticed that the laptop is running slow, even with just safari and spotify open, browsing light pages. I really don't know why, it lags when scroll down or moving window around.
    Lastly I'm obsessing too much about its aesthetics, and find myself cleaning the screen and body every second. Barely able to use it!

Apart from this, I love it tons and really happy. If I go back to the store and explained and showed these problems, could I get a new machine? I think the performance is top apart from the lagging but maybe that is expected. Is it too much to ask for a new machine for problems as small as these, they seem to bother me in my use.
    If not could I return and buy online with the same specs (mid model). In fact I get it £39 cheaper online. Is there any complications with ordering online? Like faulty Chinese models or something? How long does a return take to process in the UK apple stores?

Cheers

2. oldandcranky macrumors newbie

If you went to the store and can demonstrate the difference between another unit and yours, why would they deny you?

3. Cherrysftw, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

Cherrysftw thread starter macrumors member

Brilliant. I rang them up and they said it was well within reason, after paying for an expensive machine (thought it would be ridiculous to shake a macbook about, but a rattle sound is not good). Would they just open it up and see the problem with it? Could I ask for a new machine instead, I don't feel comfortable with the idea of having a machine that's sold to me 7 days ago to be opened up and then return. I have that feeling that it will have more problems.

Can I request a refund instead, if they don't provide a replacement?

4. iCreak macrumors newbie

you can get a replacement unit or get a refund for sure. Apple swapped 3 macbook pros because they were all creaking ( and the last one had a broken speaker out of the box).

I see no reason why apple would not replace your unit. Actually within 14 days i believe it is money back no questions asked.

5. rosh325 macrumors regular

If possible I would recommend using an audio recorder (such as the voice memo app on the iPhone) to record the sounds you are hearing.

In my case, my 2 week old 13" rMBP (late 2013) was making an audible noise that could be triggered by moving the machine around. Given that the fan is the only moving part on this machine, I think it was a problem with a ball bearing. Since I had the audio, the Genius allowed me to swap for a new machine slightly outside of the return period rather than repairing my brand new machine. My new machine is great and doesn't have the sound problem

6. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

To make it easier, just return it for a refund with no other reason but simpy you changed your mind.

Do some more thinking, come back in a day it two, purchase again.

This will stop any worries and thinking what should you or the apple rep will say. Just return it. Having a brand new machine opened up or repaired just does not make sense for me. It shouldn't have left the factory in the first place.

7. Plateglass macrumors newbie

You don't need to go to an online forum with your HARDWARE problems. Take it to a Apple store, not here. No one here is going to help you.

8. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Hello and welcome to the FORUM.