Price Advice rMbp 13' resell

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fthree, May 25, 2015.

1. Fthree macrumors 6502a

So the more i look into the new 15' the more i want the darn thing. I have one on order and am planning on testing it out and deciding if i like the bigger screen and power or not. I bought a 13' in march (3.1, i7, 512, 16 rm) i could give it to the wife or sell it if the price would be right. How much would one think the 13' with those specs would go for?

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

How much did you pay for it, then take about 100 to 200 and sell it on ebay or amazon

3. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! I ended up paying around 2250 for it. Would it be a sure thing to sell on those sites? How safe is it to sell on there? It's in pristine condition no problems at all just want to look into the 15

4. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

eBay is good, You get your money when it sells. just have to set up a paypal account

I like amazon better, people use amazon more than ebay as a whole so it will probably sell quicker. However, Amazon pays out to all sellers at a certain time every month. So you have to wait a few weeks to get the money. But I think they are better personally. Amazon is a little safer because they have so many guarantees but you really cant go wrong either way,

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

For laptops I like to sell on Craigslist. Can just meet at a Starbucks or similar. Get cash and don't worry about fees or shipping.

6. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

The one thing that always worries me about selling on Craigslist is fake money. Every time I sell through that site I take a money pen. It's like 8bucks from staples. You run the pen on the bill, and use the black light on the back to check for the strip, if both check out your good.

7. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

This is a bit overboard, you can just feel the ink and get a good idea if it's fake. In either case I have sold iphones and an apple watch sport in the last few months and never had an issue.

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That's a valid concern. Always use discretion.

I always check with a pen, strip, and other things as well such as texture.

Pain but for me I'd rather deal in person when possible. Avoid fees and typically get the best price once you weed out the lowballs.

9. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

To be completely honest i'd just keep what you have unless you're unhappy with it and need the power. Otherwise Amazon, eBay, or Craigslist. I've had bad experiences with eBay though. Craigslist you meet in a public place exchange the product for cash, and you're on your way no fees or anything.

10. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

It will be tough to get anywhere close to what you paid because the maxed out configurations lose the most value.
    I'd be surprised if you'll get any offers over $1800.
    eBay would be your best bet for such a high dollar item. In my experience, Craigslist is good generally but not with a $2000 Mac. I still see postings of 15" rMBP from 3 months ago.

11. Fthree thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking I just need to stay content as I only bought this one maxed because I wanted a good 5 year investment. But damn if that 15 isn't calling my name everyday

12. ECJ macrumors 6502

ECJ

You could sell it on eBay for at least $1,8000 (minus ebay & paypal fees). If you really work on a good listing, you may be able to get it up to $2,000. I just sold my Late 2013 15" 2.3ghz, 16gb, 1TB for $2,050 on eBay. You could then buy a 15" rMBP 2.2ghz, 16gb, 256gb on ebay for $1850.