rMBP 13" SSD size question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GoodtobetheKing, Jan 30, 2015.

1. GoodtobetheKing macrumors member

Hey there everyone,

So I have a MBP from all the way back in 2007 and me thinks it's time to trade it in. I'm a grad student now and I'm finding it fairly difficult to keep organized with everything that I currently have. So I'm thinking about buying a 13" rMBP. The problem is that I'm not sure which one to buy. I wouldn't be using the computer as a main one because I have an iMac for that. It'd be more of a computer to use on the go.

I usually work off of a external 1TB hard drive but I'm a little cautious about only having a laptop with 128GB space on it. I thought about splurging for the 256 GB rMBP but I'm not sure the extra $200 is worth it. Additionally, I have a feeling that upgrading the SSD will break the warranty on the machine.

I'm just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are? Maybe someone can give me a perspective that I haven't thought of yet. Thanks!

2. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

For just moving 128GB is more than enough. I use my MBPr for everything, and I could make it to under 256GB fine if I didn't have BOOTCAMP.

I recommend an external HDD and you'd be good to go. :)

3. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I never thought 128gb would be enough for me either, but, it works out just fine. I don't keep anything on it really and have plenty of space, only doing basic computer stuff. I wouldn't worry that much about it. If you had to have lots of files you could get a really slim external, small usb drive, or even a sd card that was made for the rmbp and sits flush

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The SSDs on the retina models are not standard drives and differ from model to model and from year to year.
    There are aftermarket options for the 2012 and early 2013 but for anything newer than that you'll need to find a genuine Apple SSD from someone who also upgraded or who parted out their machine.

5. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

I have a very similar situation to you. I have an iMac as my main device and a macbook for portability. I have a 128 GB SSD and still have nearly half the space left. Just as long as you avoid the obvious space killers such as videos and music and just stick to documents and apps, you will have no problem fitting everything on a 128 GB.

Somewhat related advice. If you are concerned only with a quality machine that you can carry around easily, I would suggest taking a look at a macbook air. They are lighter and thinner than the MBP and the most recent models have unbelievable battery life. The only real advantage for the MBP is the power to run more advanced applications (which you presumably would do on your iMac) and possibly the CD drive if that matters to you. Just wanted to give you something to think about if you are looking for a portable laptop.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The OP was looking at an rMBP so those don't even have the CD drive.

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

With the addition of iTunes Match, I have found that 128 GB is "enough" for a travel device for me. It fits all my apps, it fits all my non-media documents, and it fits a "travel itinerary" of media documents.

I then have everything instantly available on an external drive. (Full copy of my entire iTunes Library.) If I'm going to travel for a while, and think I'll need the data, I'll bring the external drive. (Note that mine is a "desktop-style" that requires its own power. There are portable, USB-powered 2 TB drives now, which is what my drive is, so you could much more easily "take everything with you" now than in my setup.)