rMBP 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seedzeng, Dec 15, 2012.

1. seedzeng macrumors member

I have trouble seeing small text font in macbook air 13inch, yet i like the small size of the device. So i constantly use screen zoom in , which will loose the focus on the screen

SO I am thinking getting a rMBP. WIll the full screen zoom in still give a clear view?

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes the Retina scales resolution very well so you will no longer have any problems. Just adjust this in the display settings.

You can do this in any Macbook, but the retinas seem to do it very well as just about any resolution looks great, from what I can tell.

3. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean?
    SO it won't loose focus when I use full-screen zoom in ?

4. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

No, the text is resampled and remains smooth.

5. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Hold out, many reviewers out there recommend that you get the 13" air instead.

The lack of upgradability and price to performance ratio is greater on the air.
    You're basically paying for a high res screen that you cannot utilize to it's full capabilities due to the integrated graphics.

Don't purchase the 13" standard MBP either. It is more expensive than the 11" air and still has the worst resolution of all mac products, second only to the iPad mini. I suspect it will be getting a slight resolution bump next time.
    Possibly 1440x900 to match the 11" air?

6. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

I am using MBA 13'' writing this review right now................SInce I have a 1080p Asus Republic of gamers..........I cannot stand the low resolution on mac air

So you think rMBP will not be worth it?

7. Kafka macrumors 6502

Wow... Please refrain from posting if you have no clue.

seedzeng, the default screen setting on the rMBP 13" is scaled like that of the cMBP 13" so things are larger than on the MBA (and fonts easier to read). You wouldn't have to use the zoom on a cMBP or a rMBP.

----------

If you really can't stand the resolution of the Air you should switch to a cMBP or rMBP.
    The choice between the two depends on your budget: the cMBP can be upgraded to an SSD by yourself for less money (for the price of a 128GB SSD rMBP you can have a 512GB SSD cMBP, no retina screen though).

8. mac jones, Dec 15, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

Airs are fine. It's just that the Retinas are a bit better.

9. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

seed

I wounld not call the resolution on mba "fine" after i am so used to 1080p on my asus

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

Oh please, it's relative. The OP may need one but plenty of people are perfectly ok with what they have.

I have owned all the Airs and presently use both Retinas. Of course the Retinas are better, but the Airs are great.

They are just tools. Like a wrench or screwdriver. You can of course, get really into this stuff, but 'most' people are fine with any Apple machine (note how i say Apple :) )

11. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

Yes, you're right........................I think it is more the small front bothers me a lot................. my bad eye-sight.

----------

SO the font size will be larger?!

THat's nice

12. RickG macrumors regular

im using a rmbp 13 and i use the pinch to zoom while reading this forum and when it zooms the resolution is perfect - even when i make the letters a half inch tall or more the edges of the letters are just as sharp as before I zoomed- the screen is well worth the extra money and the weight difference from the air to the 13 rmbp is a wash- I carry mine in my backpack sometimes and it is every bit as portable as the air- if you have the money get the retina...

13. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

Hi there,

By zoom, do you mean by full-screen zoom in???? not the browser zoom in right?????

14. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

s

If that is the case, I am gonna get it

15. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

16. stevelam macrumors 65816

the text is not resampled. why the hell would it be? its just fonts rendered at different sizes. a non-retina screen zooming in will do the same thing. obviously images will still get blurry on both retina and non-retina when zooming in.

17. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

What part of my post was untrue?:eek: Your ignorance is amazing.

A comparable 13" Macbook Air with the same ram and HDD is $1,299
    I do not take note of the processor because the difference isn't noticeable in day to day computing. Any anyone who would actually utilize the extra ghz would have sprung for the quad-core 15" anyway.

You're telling me you shelled out an extra $400 for resolution scaling? :p

18. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

The 13" rmbp is amazing worth every cent imo. it blow the user experience of my 2012 13" MBA out of the water due to the amazing screen.

19. Livewings macrumors regular

No it's not. The GPU sucks.
    15 rMBP ftw!

20. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

The 15" is definitely a better cost to performance ratio, but if the OP needs another 13" notebook, the 13" can't be beat.

21. Livewings macrumors regular

Precisely. In any way I see it, 13" rMBP is not worth it in any way unless you want the screen alone without the performance.

It's like a Ferrari with a Toyota engine.

22. mmark77 macrumors newbie

For starters, an 11" Macbook Air has a 1366 x 768 resolution. Secondly, how is the integrated GPU limiting the retina screen? Are there 3,500,000 pixels being shown instead of the 4,096,000 available?

23. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

I am speaking of the 13" MBA. Secondly, anything related to video or 3D modeling would definitely benefit from a dedicated GPU to render and process any content that would demand a retina sized resolution.

24. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

SO it won't be a nice experience if i try to play 1080 p video on rMPB?

25. iExpensive, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

No. It will look just fine. All I am saying is that the 13" rMBP is really an unwise purchase decision (regarding system spec). Because of this, I refuse to buy one and would advise anyone else to do the same.
    It is also a first generation product, which I would never buy.

However, if you have boat loads of money to throw around go ahead and buy it. Then sell it next revision which I assume will be the worthy update.

EDIT:
    As an exception, I will recommend this buy for you. Seeing as your eyesight is poor, I would have to agree that the 13" rMBP would be a good fit for you as oppose to a macbook air. Everything stays the same as a cMBP except much clearer.