rMBP 15" - 2 ext monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckg1999, Jul 2, 2014.

1. ckg1999 macrumors newbie

All,

I am getting a rMBP for work and switching from a ThinkPad. I currently have the thinkpad hooked up to a ThinkPad USB 3 dock, which provides VGA and DVI outputs to my monitors.

I would like to replicate the same on my MBP, if possible. I read about Thunderbolt docks, etc, but seems they only provide ONE video output.

I have MDP -> DVI and MDP -> VGA coming as well.

2. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

3. ckg1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

I saw that - looks NICE!!

I need additional USB ports and ethernet (wifi is sluggish where I am in the house). Thoughts there?

4. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

The rMBP has two thunderbolt ports. You can hook up either a DVI or VGA monitor to each one using an adapter.

5. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Well if you want a dock, how about this:

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/

you just use one thunderbolt port and the second port on the caldigit you can use to minidisplay/thunderbolt to vga or dvi and the hdmi with an adapter to dvi for example

I think the caldigit is able to serve graphics to the second thunderbolt port on it and out of the hdmi port

6. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

problem solved lol .. just buy a usb 3 hub and connect it to the one usb that comes from the dock .idk how good this one is but it should get the work done ;) . http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0&qid=1391948381&sr=8-16&keywords=tecknet+7+2

----------

only prob is that thing is 200$ and hengedock all you have to do is slide it in and your good to go ; so you don't physically have to plug anything in everytime

7. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Yeah I get that, thats totally true but you also get the ethernet port and if he is going to use both Thunderbolt Outs to drive non Thunderbolt displays he cant use the ethernet and it sounds like he really needs to use it. There are USB to ethernet adapters but I think they only have 100mbit and overhead - I dont like overhead even if you wouldnt notice it

And, one thunderbolt cable to plug in isnt too bad

8. ckg1999 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good points - However, according to CalDigit -
    "Can I use multiple monitors with my Thunderbolt Station?
    Yes, the Thunderbolt Station can support two monitors if one of them is an Apple Thunderbolt Display. You cannot use a monitor with a mini display port to DVI/VGA/HDMI adapter while using the HDMI port on the device for a multiple display configuration because only the first display that is detected will function."

Sounds like I either pick up the Henge dock + thunderbolt dock (CalDigit or Belkin), or wait for the horizontal dock in the fall.

9. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

really depends on when you need it by ? ; imo the horizontal dock seems a hell of lot better as its so much less space consuming

10. bennibeef macrumors 6502

But just an idea - I have nothing against the hengedock but you also loose 1 display - the macbooks itself and I think that is the best looking display then out of your three

11. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

definitely unless your using the horizontal version of the hengedock that is suppose to come out in Q4 2014 ; http://hengedocks.com/pages/horizontal-mac-dock

12. bennibeef macrumors 6502

wow cool havent even seen that and was kinda confused about what horizontal thing you guys where talking about - nice!