rMBP 15" 2012 goes COMPLETELY unresponsive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stephen1108, Oct 4, 2014.

1. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPSLvkZh0K0

I know this issue happens to other people, but I never really found out what caused it or the solution to this problem. I have AppleCare on my computer, so taking it to Apple wouldn't be a problem, but I've had this issue ever since I got it in June of 2013. It's a mid-2012 rMBPro.

It only comes up like maybe once or twice a month, but it's still annoying none-the-less. I believe it's tied to Safari since it explicitly happens when Safari is running.

The computer goes COMPLETELY unresponsive, no keyboard inputs work, no touch pad, it won't sleep when the lid is closed, and the only remedy is to hard power off then back on. Sometimes when I have music playing while the issue pops up, the music actually starts skipping and loops that same split second over and over until I turn the computer off.

What should I do y'all?

2. c0LdFire macrumors regular

I've also seen this before. It's usually when there is actually quite a light load on the machine, too - Spotify and a browser tops. Still have never found a reason for it.

3. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

1. Change your OS (format/instal a new one)
    2. If you did that, try to reset smc and pram
    3. If it's still there, go to Apple, you probably have a defective logic board (my guess)

4. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've already done option #2. But would option #1 really be necessary given that it's a problem I've experienced ever since I got the computer?

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It doesn't hurt to try.

But whatever you do, make sure you DO NOT restore from a Time Machine backup, because doing so would put back whatever rogue stuff that's causing your problems.

I've had an early-2011 MBP that had kernel_task going haywire whenever Ethernet was connected during boot from day one. OS upgrades (not clean installs) didn't work either. The problem disappeared after I reformatted the entire drive and put a fresh copy of OS X on it.

6. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

rMBP 15" 2012 goes COMPLETELY unresponsive

It literally just did it three days in a row. It's never happened this frequently before. :/

I'm thinking a format might be necessary. *sigh*

7. cosmicjoke, Oct 6, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2014

cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

i actually got them to replace my macbook for this issue, i had early '13…….. they are cross shipping me 2014 2.5/16/512ssd…. arrives today by fedex...

they replaced logic board twice, airport card, ssd, top case…. nothing fixed it….. countless phone calls to senior advisors…… until they finally agreed it was like beating a dead horse and gave me another one. i really hope this new one is stable…. every other machine i have has like a month of uptime, including a late '11 15", an '11 macbook air, and a mac mini from '12….. sometimes the retina would hard freeze every day… was real intermittent, could never figure out any reason why, was not just safari, would happen with chrome, just using finder, textual irc…. anything.

if you want them to do something about it be prepared for one major hassle….. i'd have them perhaps look at the magsafe board or the brick, maybe it's providing an unstable voltage or something that's freezing it… honestly i have no idea…..

in my experience a format ain't gonna fix it, like nothing will…. you could try to preemptively restart your machine at the end of every night, it seems to happen with more uptime in my experience….

8. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm just seeing your reply, but thank you for this insight! I just updated to Yosemite, so we'll see if this alleviates the issue, but you're right. Higher uptime leads to this.

9. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It's a logic board fault most likely. Mine is in at the Apple store getting its logic board replaced for exactly the same symptoms.

10. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I thought I'd update.

I got an update from the Apple store. They tried 3 logic boards, 4 SSDs and a new bottom case (battery).

It still threw errors in their diagnostics. My rMBP was replaced with a brand spanking new one today (thank goodness for AppleCare)

Definitely get yours in for a check up

11. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow that's amazing!! I planned on taking mine in over my break cuz I need it for school. How frequent did your issues arise? I just want it fixed because it's terrifying that this could happen during an online test or quiz.

12. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

It was happening at least once per day.

13. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

Literally just happened on my MacBook again while browsing MacRumors. But this time it did something different, it actually restarted instead of just staying stuck like in the past.

14. treimche macrumors member

Mine has been doing this more frequently lately. Happened twice in a row today actually. It is over 2 years old now, and no apple care :(

15. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

So... it only took them over 2 years to acknowledge this issue and initiate a recall. :rolleyes:

16. treimche macrumors member

I saw something on the front page of MacRumors about this just a bit ago. Is this something they will be charging for? Do we have to wait for Apple to contact us or do we contact them about it?