rMBP 15 2015 - Fan noise and heat..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eXXpireD, Jun 23, 2015.

1. eXXpireD macrumors newbie

Just got this last week and I've had nothing but issues with it. (dGPU model)

For some reason the fans want to go above 5k rpm when all I'm doing is watching a video on youtube (at 720p!) temperature climbs from 40C and fan speed of around 2k rpm to 65+C and 5k+ rpm.

Tried it in safe mode and it was even worse! (Also had some weird graphical glitch, white horizontal lines going up the screen)

Anyone experienced any of these issues?

PS I spoke to Apple Authorized Service Center and he said its discoveryd issue but discoveryd doesnt show it doing anything when this happens

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If Apple suggested that it was something running in the background and it wasn't when you checked, then what happened? I would speak with them again.

3. eXXpireD thread starter macrumors newbie

Wasn't apple them selves, I cant take my macbook into them until Thursday, Just seeing if anyone had the same sort of issue. Normal usage shouldn't really make the fans blow like theres no tomorrow

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

There are many issues talked about here regarding heat and fans spinning up, although yours doesn't sound normal and especially considering the graphical issues you are experiencing I would not be surprised if unfortunately your computer is having more than just common issues.

5. shoehornhands macrumors regular

What does it show in Activity Monitor (Applications --> Utilities --> Activity Monitor)? There's probably something running in the background that you aren't aware of.

You can also download this app from Intel:

https://software.intel.com/file/453440/download

It will show the processor temperature, frequency and power usage. It'll help you narrow down the exact problem.

6. Jinzen macrumors 6502

Have had mine for a few days - no fan runs in anything except heavy CPU usage or benchmarking.

7. improwise, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

improwise macrumors member

Do you by any chance have it connected to an external monitor? My MBP was really quiet until I decided to connect it to a 4K monitor, after which the fans have been running almost constantly despite being totally idle (I tested to just leave it alone). If I unplugg the external monitor the fans almost immediately goes down to whisper quiet. This is REALLY bad if it isn't something that can be avoided, if fans need to be at 5-6K just to display a word document on a 4K screen. Especially considering that the ultraslim Dell XPS13 (a 13" laptop in an even smaller chassi) has no problems running the same screen with same load and does not even require fans you can hear to do it.

(I've verified that there are no background processes or similar causing this)

8. tyzjames macrumors newbie

I faced the same issue as you. I ended up returning the MBP and exchanging it for the base model without the dGPU and it works fine, if not better.

9. improwise macrumors member

Actually, from what I've hear, the one without the dGPU has more problems with heat as that GPU is built in to the CPU and has to share the same cooling instead of an "external" GPU that can have its own cooling. This is not something I've verified myself but read and it seems logical. My fan-problems have actually decreased quite much now, even in Windows, so it might have been something temporary. That said, the small dimensions of the MacBook Pro 15" combined with its powerful internal components of course mean that the fans have to come on sometimes. Haven't really done any more extensive testing though but my initial impression that fanproblems were caused by my external screen seem to have been incorrect.

10. brosenz macrumors regular

brosenz

I did test mine playing YouTube videos from Safari in 10.10.3 and the CPU was idle all the time around 40C and the fan was around 2,000 rpm

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

It`s due to when you use an external display with the 15" MBP, with dGPU the system automatically switches to the discrete GPU which ramps up the internal temperature, nor can you disable this action. The only thing you can do is try to keep the system cooler. I moved away from the 15" for the very same reasons. As the 15" has gotten more powerful over recent years, it`s becoming far harder to keep the internal temperature low enough to avoid the fans spooling up to an intrusive level. Fair enough if your generating a high load or gaming it`s to be expected, however basic productivity tasks the last thing I want is the fans "roaring" when I am trying to concentrate.

Being an owner & user of the 15" MacBook Pro forever; Over the years the 15" has frequently struggled with it`s thermals, especially when an external display is connected as the dGPU switches on as default, internal temperatures soar;
    • Elevate the rear, aluminium passive coolers generally work best (I use RainDesign`s mStand & iLap)
    • Increase base fan RPM to 3K or as much as you are comfortable with (MacsFanControl or SMC Fan Control)
    • Limit the dGPU`s usage with gfxCardStatus
    • Swap out Chrome for Chrome Canary as it`s way more optimised for OS X and will extend battery run time, reduce thermals
    • Swap out VLC for Movist as again it`s a reduced load on CPU/GPU
    • Uninstall or block Flash
    • Install an ad blocker Ublock extension works well
    • Powered coolers are very much a "mixed bag" when it comes to Mac portables, you need one that has a high capacity (100 CFM minimum) and preferably a large single fan, this can help to keep the 15" internal fans below 4K which for many is good enough as often it`s this point and beyond where the fans become intrusive. Don't expect a powered cooler impact internal temperatures, beyond a couple of degrees
    • Older machines can benefit from cleaning the cooling system
    • Replacing the thermal paste has been hit & miss, some with very positive results, some with no improvement over stock. Personally I would only do this on a Mac Portable that was either very old, or one that I can confirm was definitely running hotter than stock.
    The key to a quiet life with a 15" MacBook Pro is several incremental changes that do add up to reduce thermals. From my experience over the years if your going to push a 15" hard the fans are going to max out fast, with associated noise. If your using it with a moderate load life can be made quieter :) For the most part your MBP runs hot as that`s how Apple designed it, the trade of for form over, function, thin & light...

The old adage still applies; it`s easier to keep a system cool, than cool-down an already hot machine. This being said it`s not strictly necessary, equally it`s nice to know that there are options for reducing temperature out there :apple:

Although I still have 15" rMBP`s I much prefer to use the 13" rMBP and even the new 12' Retina MacBook. I only use the 15" Retina for the occasional heavy lifting. To me it`s pointless adding ever more powerful CPU/dGPU when the Notebook is already at it`s thermal limits, and why I have never upgraded my 2012 Retina.

Q-6

12. ckWTB macrumors member

ckWTB

You have received a lot of excellent replies.

As suggested launch Activity Monitor and watch CPU for percentage of usage. New computers typically have background activities that generate plenty of extra heat. Also consider your ambient temperatures because while streaming video is hardly a heavy workload, if the ambient temperatures are high (it is summer after all) then I would not be surprised to see those temps and fan speeds when streaming video combined with background activities taking place. Follow up if you have additional information from Apple, but if there’s something wrong then they should be able to take care of you.

Apple Activity Monitor info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

Apple Spotlight info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203447

Apple Diagnostic Reporting info: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18763?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

And Intel’s Power Gadget is a great application to accurate monitor CPU temps, power and speeds with the data logging function. This is one of the best ways to see what is really going on because most real time monitors jump all over the place so it become impossible to get a good sense of temperatures and whether your machining is throttling. It is what I use for all performance testing.