rMBP 15" always displays 2880 x 1800 in system profiler

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duffer6, Mar 21, 2013.

1. duffer6 macrumors 6502

rMBP 15" always displays 2880 x 1800 in system profiler under the graphics tabs. Is this normal behavior. When I switch resolutions for my Thunderbolt display the resolution reported under the graphics tab in system profiler adjusts as expected and reports the new resolution accordingly. Not with the rMBP, I can change from Large Text all the way through to more Space for the rMBP, refresh the information under system profiler and the reported resolution for the rMBP's screen always is 2880 x 1800 regardless of the chosen resolution in the display prefs for the rMBP.

Any insight would be helpful.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The resolution of the screen is, and always will be, 2880x1800. What you set it to is only the apparent resolution. When you have it connected, it shows the resolution shown on the Thunderbolt display (are you mirroring it?).

3. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the quick reply I am not mirroring it. See the attached image. The built in LCD reported resolution never changes no matter the setting but the Thunderbolt reported resolution will change the reported resolution whenever I adjust the resolution in the display preferences. For example if I change the rmbp to "Large Text / 1024 x 640) the reported resolution stays the same but if I do the same for the Thunderbolt display it will report 1600 x 900 or whatever resolution I choose for that specific display. The rmbp never changes the reported resolution regardless if the actually resolution does change, which it does based on what I select under the display preferences for the rmbp.

Attached Files:

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

OK. It appears there is a bug in the system. But it obviously cannot hurt you in any way; thus, I don't know what to say...

But report it to Apple! Maybe they will fix it in a small software update.

5. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree, can you or someone else verify that this actually happens on a like machine and report back. If it is an Apple I will file a bug report with error. If it is only with my rmbp then I have another issue.

I agree that my rmbp is not being harmed this is purely for curiosity.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Unfortunately I do not use an external display, but the resolution for a 15" retina should always be 2800x1800, since that is the resolution of the screen.

7. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

The factor of the external display is really not a factor. I am curious if the reported resolution will ever change when you change the selection for the LCD on the rmbp.