rMBP 15" Battery problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pontus669, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Pontus669 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've just bought a rMBP 15" and experiencing some problem with the battery. On a 100% i get about 3-4h of surfing the web.
    My current usage is 2000mAh with only Chrome opened. (Battery Health)
    I have Windows 7 installed through boot camp.
    88 cycles/97% health.
    Any idea what my cause this? Or any applications running in the background?

Thanks in Advance

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

If you want better battery life - avoid using Chrome.
    If you open your Activity Monitor, you will find that Chrome will have a bunch of processes (there might be dozens) running that only Chrome uses.

How's your battery life if you browse using Safari? (or some browser other than Chrome :D )

3. Pontus669 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the repay! I will try to use Safari and see if i can spot any difference. I just noticed dropbox sitting in the background.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Some others that I use occasionally:
    Firefox
    Opera
    OmniWeb
    iCab
    Roccat

Dropbox? not relevant to your browser, eh?
    Although if you actively use dropbox, that may contribute to your battery life (or the lack, thereof :D )

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

6. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

I have the new high-end 15" rMBP with dPGU.
    The last time I did a battery drain test (spending the day at a local coffee shop); I got little over 6 hours doing occasional web browsing, downloading, streaming iTunes radio, and editing photos on Lightroom 5.
    Since day 1, I have gfxcardstatus installed. When I am running on battery, I always make sure that I have "integrated only" checked, so that the dGPU does not work at all.
    The reason I am stressing on that little program is that I have realized a lot of times that certain websites (especially video streaming sites) forces the dGPU to kick in rather than sticking with the iGPU.
    dGPU drains the battery a lot faster than the iGPU.
    Lastly, avoid Chrome. Safari is a good browser. It also has the private browsing capability just like Chrome does. There are plenty of extensions too.
    Another thing to check for is your screen brightness. Brighter it is, more battery it consumes.
    Hope this helps, best.

7. skirmisser macrumors member

Again, avoid Chrome. No HW acceleration for video playback, choppy scrolling on retina, and all this with higher power usage than Safari.