rmbp 15" dedicated vid card upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n0id, May 1, 2013.

1. n0id macrumors member

With all the rumors on the june announcment....I have yet to come across anything mentioning if the dedicated vid card in the 15" models is going to get an upgrade.

Anyone heard anything, or have links to some rumors? I can't imagine they are going to stick with the current one....

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The thing is that there aren't that many newer GPUs to choose from.

NVidia recently introduced the 700m series, so they could go with a 750m, but it's really just a minor tweak and rename of the 600m series chips.

Many of AMD's mobile GPUs for this year are similarly just rebadges and tweaks of previous generation GPUs.

We might get a surprise, but I wouldn't expect a big change.

3. onirocdarb macrumors regular

I especially hope they upgrade the 13, the 15 already has a decent one. But most importantly they have to optimize Safari for smooth scrolling, I have heard that other browsers do it fine.

4. jbruce2112 macrumors newbie

Nvidias website claims that the 750m is up to 70% faster than the 650m in Crysis 2, I believe.

Has anyone seen any other comparisons?

5. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

It's a refresh of the Kepler core. I wouldn't bet on anything more than a 10-15" increase. Nor do I see a move to a different card since with a laptop this slim TDP is key.

That said, I'm one of the apparent minority who is happy with the GT650m's performance, so I don't see this as a major drawback- simply not a reason to upgrade either.