rMBP 15" for basic computing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bili.d.kid, Apr 1, 2013.

1. bili.d.kid macrumors member

are anyone here bought rMbp 15" for just basic everyday use such as browsing, music, watch movie, photo on iphoto, a couple of fin.report on numbers? i mean, really basic use, no heavy multimedia professional use, or no media professinal person, but buy this machine.thanks

2. superriku11 macrumors member

superriku11

That's a really expensive and overly powerful laptop for basic computing. You really should go for a much less expensive option, and it'd suit you just as well.

If you don't require a laptop, a Mac Mini would do you well. Unless you don't already have a spare display, keyboard, and mouse. In which case, the low end iMac wouldn't be too much more expensive.

If you do require a laptop, the MacBook Air is a good choice.

3. emptysoul macrumors regular

I'd definitely go for the Macbook Air for that. The rMBP is lovely but overkill for your purposes.

Still, if you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket... :)

4. simsaladimbamba

It might be overkill, even the 2009 MBPs can do what you want, even older Macs. No need for such an expensive Mac, unless you want to.

5. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

I bought my maxed out rmbp for its calculator app and to tweet.

6. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Yes why not its all about the Retina and the quality of text for me, and it is fast and portable. 15" is the go for movies and photos.

7. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

i know its too much :). but after try once at store, the retina screen and the screen real estate, form factor, every aspecs, makes me want it badly :eek:

8. kittencounter macrumors member

If you have the money why the hell shouldn't you buy the best laptop for light daily use. Don't feel bad if you have the money and just want to use the best things out there. The 15inch is very comforting to use, looks sleek and it's not even that heavy to carry around. If you are a girl, care about lifestyle and carry the the laptop often on the go then I say get the 13inch air. But if you like the 15inch rMBP, take the lowest specs of it. (The "weaker" CPU will run cooler and save battery life). The rest of the money, throw it on some good apps, premium streaming services ..etc. Your life would be more awesome by atleast 15% :D

9. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Hey there buddy. I'm doing the same thing. I'm in the film business. But I'm a Assistant director. Not a Editor. I use my laptop for all the basic things. Using the Internet. Using Microsoft Word and Excel. Using Movie Magic Movie scheduling software. iTunes and iPhoto. And I watch many movies on my computer while traveling for work. I could get by with less, but it's the 15 inch Retina that I want. Playing with them in the store, they are just unbelievable machines. It's well worth the few hundred dollars to treat myself to such wonderful technology. And I need a new computer bad, so why not by the futures technology instead of yesterday's? That being said, I'm waiting for the 2nd generation with the Haswell processor. I figure the 2nd generation will address and fix some of the issues, and it's just a few months away. So I'll wait

10. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

thanks for helping it makes sense for me, to want it.:)

11. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Do whatever you want.. if you want an alienware laptop to watch full HD movies thats your choice..

12. iphoneZ macrumors regular

id rather have the lightweight macbook air in that case ...

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use mine for remote access, office apps, virtualization, photo editing and DAM (Digital Asset Management). That sounds pretty basic to me, but in the end its the best laptop I've had :)

14. chrise2 macrumors 6502

Its all about the screen for me. Its fantastic. Its also much thinner and lighter than the regular macbook pro. I'm not really a fan of the 13" Air. Its a little bit thinner and lighter than the 13" retina, but I think the footprint of the 13" retina is a little smaller. But maybe not. I just feel like they made it a little bigger just so they could taper it to nothing in the front.

15. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

thank you for all your share everyone.its really feed my curiousity

16. Ploki macrumors 68020

What about 13" retina?

Airs are probably gonna get retina screen soon I suspect.

On the other hand if you have the money to spend why care? Just get the base model.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd say about 90% of people buy computers for that exact purpose.

18. bili.d.kid thread starter macrumors member

yes, but maybe they think air/regular mbp is enough.

19. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

Of course the air and cMBP are enough for everyday tasks, even a 5 year old mac will be enough.

20. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Just buy a MacBook Air for that. It's half the price and identical performance for everyday stuff. Or maybe even smoother being non-Retina!

21. snaky69 macrumors 603

That would be because it is?

An iPad has sufficient computing power for most users.

Heck my father-in-law has a decked out gaming PC, with all the latest gizmo's on it, and uses it mostly to browse the web and pay bills.

Do whatever you like, it's your money, but if you truly want my opinion, you should be buying a decent netbook, and put whatever you saved compared to the rMBP into a charity of some sort if you have that much disposable income.

In fact, I'll go invent my own charity right now, should you decide to go that route, I could use a few thousand dollars.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The OP was looking at the 15" MBP, there is a significant difference between the MBA and the MBP - mostly screen real estate.

While agree the MBA is a great option for most everyday needs, the screen size could be a major show stopper. I moved from a 13" MBP to the rMBP, prior to the rMBP release I looked seriously at the MBA but since I found the 13" MBP's screen too small, the MBA wasn't really feasible.

23. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Of course somebody who doesn't use the rMBP at its full performance potential may still enjoy the luxury of:

1) Having the best display on the market. This is a pretty big deal even when doing light tasks. No need to be an expert to tell it is much sharper than a MBA's, and the color accuracy and viewing angles are also obviously a lot better.
    2) Having the best trackpad. That thing works so well it makes every Windows laptops seem unusable after.
    3) Having a thin and light 15" laptop. Most 15" laptops are bulkier than a rMBP, even if they are less powerful.
    4) Having excellent battery life.
    5) Having flash storage. Quick boot and fast app launching is cool and appreciated even when doing light taks.

If you have the money, sure buy it if you feel it's a better computer and it's the one you want. Don't feel bad for not exploiting its full CPU/GPU potential, I'm sure there are many aspects that makes the rMBP a better computer you will enjoy still.

Obviously it would be a luxury but sometimes that's what money is for. I don't expect everybody who buy luxury cars with powerful engines to use them to race either. Sometimes you just want the comfort and fancy features and performance also comes as part of the package.

24. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

It's totally your choice man! People will say it's overkill for what you will use it for, but if you want it and can afford it then go get it!

25. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

The 13" MBA has the same estate as the 15.