rMBP 15" idle CPU idling at 65-70 degrees?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaSal, Mar 1, 2014.

1. DaSal macrumors regular

I recently got back into Windows gaming and I ran into a big throttling problem. One thing led to another and I downloaded a monitoring utility. Now it turned out that under both Windows and OS X Mavericks the idle temperature of the CPU always hovers around 65-70 degrees. That seems really high for idle temps... Is this normal? Would love to hear how other people's temps are.

2. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

as you are from the netherlands I guess you mean 70°C. That seems really a lot. Did you check Activity monitor?
    Furthermore did you check if it is the CPU for sure and not the GPU? (you can download gfxcardstatus to see, which card is active)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My rMBP idles in the 35c range, so if you're experiencing double that, well that's not good.

4. DaSal thread starter macrumors regular

I do mean celsius! I'm using iStat menu's to measure the temperature.

To test I've downloaded smcFanControl and I set the fans to run at maximum speed for about 10 minutes now, the Macbook is idling (no other programs running), and the CPU is hovering around 41 degrees.

41 degrees at idle with fans at full speed! Really seems like something is very wrong there.

Not sure what to do about this...

5. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

Take it back, mine idles at 35 both windows and OSX and the GPU is about 35 OSX and 41 W8.1.

Under load in Windows CPU is 105 and I under clock the GPU to avoid throttling of the CPU power (I process not render in 3D).

Under OSX neither get over 75c under load, but I guess I don't do any real work in OSX.

6. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well i had opened up one of my friends retinas just to check for any dust on the heatsink, we were surpirsed to see lots of it. We cleant it with a toothpick and compressed air. However temperatures on idle are at 45-50 same with my retina only during intensive tasts and flash content does it hit 95c

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My 13" rMBP with the 3GHZ CPU idles at around 35 too, I'd be inclined to take it back...perhaps the paste wasn't properly applied, or a buildup of dust has occurred. I clean the vents out with a soft brush once a week.