rMBP 15" issues....only two?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lcseds, Jun 3, 2013.

1. lcseds macrumors 6502a

So I'm tempted by the 15" rMBP in the refurb store. Since I was looking at the 15 with discreet, the video improvements from Haswell as not a really big deal. Don't care about battery either. Use it around the house only.
    So after reading a thousand threads, it seems that the main issues are image retention and lag. Image retention can be cured with a new LCD every sixth months or so it seems (Applecare is a yes on this one). The other issue of lag seems to be more a software issue rather than a hardware deficiency. Is this accurate?
    The only other issue I hate is heat. Not sure how this is, but I would have to check that after getting it as others will not be using it the way I would necessarily. So that's more subjective.
    I would also by the refurb in the next few days, so if something is earth shattering with the update, I could return the refurb. I am not a power user. Web surfing (a LOT of tabs), Aperture/iPhoto/Nik, Word, Excel and soon some basic video editing (gotta digitize those tapes I have been meaning to do for ten years now). So money is more important than say, a 5% or 10% gain here and there.
    So, in a nutshell, are those two issues the main drawback you 2012 rMBP owners have experienced?
    Thanks.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You are right. Lag is a software issue, so use Webkit nightly and make sure to install 10.9 when it comes out. IR seems to be only with the LGs, so you do not need a new panel every six months, just a new one if you notice it. Heat will not be a concern for your uses, as it is only a problem when you do intense work like 4K video editing.

3. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

GPU improvements not a big deal? If the 750m is used, it's comparable to a 670m in speed with GDDR5 memory.

4. lcseds thread starter macrumors 6502a

750 vs 650? Yes, not a big deal. I don't use the system for gaming. The 750 appears to be a small percentage of an improvement and not likely to be noticed by my usage. Only benchmarks.

5. lapy macrumors newbie

The 650m is a great card, and also is easily overclockable so it can reach the 660m+ performance without heating that much. The 640m, 650m, 660m are said to be the same GPU with different clocks. And the 750m is a 650m with nvidia turbo boost 2.0, which means it overclocks automatically. At the end of the day, no great difference between the two.

6. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

about the LG panel issues, i do track a 500 page length problem in Apple support website.
    but it seems that recently they rolled out version 2 panels, so if you received that unit highly likely that there won't be any ghosting issues as i haven't read any post of people reporting problems on the v2 panel.

7. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

I had my system in for a screen replacement, there was a pretty heated conversations going on with a Genius about the Rev 2 screen and how the IR was still there. Funny thing was the consumer knew more about the issue then the so called genius. Knew the product codes, and how the distribution of said panels worked. Even had contact info for an Escalation agent, this guy came in prepared. And the poor Genius tried to BS him, big mistake.
    We got to talking and I told him mine was replaced with a Samsung Panel, then he really went off on them. Old guy was smart, he knew just the right amount of persistence and volume to get the attention he was looking for. That and I'm sure turning away a few customers in the store who where looking at the rMBP helped him a bunch, he stood right there next to the rMBP tables and demanded some satisfaction for his troubles, and he got it.

8. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

ah ... so the IR is still there even for v2 panels ... samsung is the way to go it seems

9. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

so how long are we gonna say it's a software issue ? it's been almost a year now.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, I bought that excuse in the summer of 2012, now with the prospect of the Haswell based laptops replacing the Ivy Bridge I don't think apple is going to fix this issue and I don't buy its just a software issue

11. lcseds thread starter macrumors 6502a

So if not software, was there a performance improvement (lag) noted with a higher CPU speed? Is it just the 2.3/2.4 speed that have lag? Trying to wrap my head around this because the cpu's and gpu seem very strong and I would have thought sufficient even for a retina display.

12. leman macrumors 604

I think you should really try it for yourself. I don't notice any lag myself, ecxept the resize performance of App Store...

13. B... macrumors 68000

B...

It definitely is software. That is why Webkit makes the scrolling lag go away and 10.8.3 made things a bit better; we will see about 10.8.4. You do not need a 2.7 Ghz quad core i7 processor and a 650M to run 2880x1800.

14. ProMod macrumors 6502a

This may be the first instance of IR on the SJA2 panel outside of the sketchy Chinese website where someone was claiming the same thing (we think). You should have invited the guy to jump on MacRumors and tell us more about it!