rMBP 15 late 2013 vs iMac 5k latest model

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leftyMac, Mar 19, 2016.

1. leftyMac macrumors regular

I'm just wondering if anyone upgraded their rMBP 15" late 2013 mode to the latest iMac 5k.

I don't have much budget, so my plan is to sell my rMBP, and replace it with a new iMac, and with the limited budget, I'd have to go with a fusion drive.

so I guess my question is, how much slower (or faster!) does it get, going from SSD on a rMBP to a fusion drive on an iMac?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

well assuming you go for a 2TB Fusion or bigger then it'll be much the same ssd speed wise, but overall the iMac is a faster machine (depending on spec and usage) . Unfortunately apple made the decision to only use a 24gb ssd on the 1 TB fusion and it's not a great choice from the user point of view.

3. leftyMac thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I didn't know about the difference between the 2TB and 1TB fusion drives! Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I'd go for the 2TB option, but I'm still not convinced enough to spend a lot to replace my rMBP yet. Maybe I should just get a nice monitor or TV to go with it.

4. whatitis macrumors newbie

whatitis

Hi

This is very much an on going debate I am having with myself right now. In the past year I am traveling less with my 15" Pro and it has remained in the one spot for my productivity tasks. I am undecided on what approach to take;

1. 5k iMac | i7 (maxed); this would be a direct replacement for the late-2013 15" Pro + get a mid level spec 12" MacBook for on the go related activities

2. Wait unit the probable redesign of the 15" Pro and get a 4k monitor

Hmmmmmm

5. leftyMac thread starter macrumors regular

That's exactly what I've been thinking too. The 15" is just not portable enough and I am using it as a desktop replacement. I'm leaning towards getting a 12" MacBook for seminars and programming elsewhere to switch up my environment. 5k iMac 27" even the basic model could be better than my rMBP spec-wise or close enough? I'm not sure if that will be an upgrade from what I already have.