rMBP 15" Mid 2014 - Nightmare machine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AnonDP, Sep 22, 2014.

1. AnonDP, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

AnonDP macrumors member

Many of you may or may not know that ever since I first lay my hands upon my 15inch rMBP I have been totaly unsatisfied and quite frankly disappointed at the nastiness of it all.
    A new day, a new problem with what only can be described as a nightmare machine. Now, I am not a heavy gamer, infact having this machine around a month this is the first time I have experienced playing a game on it.
    I tried playing a first person shooting game, Facebook based, nothing amazing but was pretty advanced for a free online multiplayer.
    The first 2 minutes, fine, ran like a dream (or as dreamy as possible despite the heft of the machine crushing my legs :p). Fast forward 3 mins and about 10 deaths. Laggy game and I am enduring what can only be desribed as a red hot iron being pressed on me. The machine was too hot to be around, let alone touch, it was like a fire on my lap and VERY uncomfortable. Oh, and the noise, oh dear; imagine sitting on an airport runway with 747's toying around next to you...

I know, I know, rMBP is not a gaming machine, but come off it. A $2000+ machine should be able to run a tacky little Facebook game without inflicting 3rd degree burns and awaking the neighbours at 3AM.

Why do we continue to think this is acceptable and 'normal' for a laptop to behave this way. Oh and my iPhone 4 can't upgrade to iOS 8.... thanks alot Apple.

2. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I am sure the Windows world will welcome you back with open arms.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Yes we all know

Any frequent visitor to this forum would have to be blind to not have seen your bleating on about this computer since the day you bought it.

As far as I can tell you have failed to find any common ground with anyone else and half of us believe you have never even laid eyes on one and are just here for the wind up.

As to your issues with this machine, the advice on this forum was for you to return it within 14 days and get your money back and buy something else, we did point out that you will not find anything thinner or lighter and as powerful with a 15 inch screen.

You have elected to keep this machine despite not being happy with it, you now have 2 choices keep ituse it and shut up about it or sell it and buy something else. It will still be worth the bulk of what you paid for it and if you sell it overseas maybe more.

For your obvious predjudices I would suggest a massive liquid cooled gaming PC, as you will not find a laptop you like if your reaction to this one is anything to go by.

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Keep in mind that most online games depend upon Flash - which, when used heavily, will cause the processor to get hot. Second...it's an online game, which means it's dependent upon a good internet connection. There could be other factors rather than the rMBP that contribute to the poor game performance (like....maybe the game itself is buggy?).

As to your sniveling about the iPhone 4 not being able to be upgraded to iOS8, Apple advised that back in June at the WWDC. Perhaps it's time you upgrade to a new iPhone.

Or...if you really don't like Apple products, return your rMBP and go down to the Microsoft Store and get something better.

6. AnonDP thread starter macrumors member

Of course I've laid eyes on it. Hell, I made an unboxing/review video descovering how much of a lump it was. I'm not going to sell it out of principle but day after day, week after week I turn it on in hope of it actually excelling in some aspect or another...

As for the other user spitefully saying 'upgrade your phone'; this is the type of attitude Apple has created towards mobile phones. "Oh it's over 2 years old, let's kill it off and force them to buy a new one". This disposible attitude is disgusting and noone seems to give 2 s****.

The ONLY thing I am hoping for from Apple in the upcoming months make Yosemite compatible with iOS7 and not only 8, so I don't have to have my lump of a phone with me whilst I have the displeasure of using the lump of a laptop

7. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Keep in mind that the iPhone 4 is over 4 years old. For smartphones, that's ancient. Getting upset because iOS8 doesn't support it only makes you look foolish.

As to Yosemite supporting iOS 7, it will with some caveats - i.e. iOS 7 doesn't include iCloud Drive or Continuity. So..if you were expecting those to work on your iPhone 4, they won't.

I'd suggest you do one of two things:
    1. Make an appointment with the Genius Bar to have them check out your rMBP and see if there's anything wrong with it, vs. it being a problem with the user.
    2. If you're not happy with t he results of #1, switch to a Windows laptop and Windows Phone - you love those.

Yes, my response is laced with some sarcasm. I seriously have to wonder if you know how to use a computer.

8. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

For a smartphone, 2 years is already getting old. Even if Apple made iOS 8 for the iPhone 4, it probably wouldn't be a pleasant experience. It's like windows. Sure, unlike Mac, you can put Windows 8 on a 10 year old machine, but would you really want to? My university does this and the computer struggles just to open Firefox. They would have been better off leaving running XP.

9. Richyrich1975 macrumors member

10. AnonDP thread starter macrumors member

I don't know how to use a computer? I know how to use one, I think that's half the problem...anything other than being a Facebook/Myspace warrio and it gets really heated and messy.

Trolling? Sure, how about you purchase one of these machines then come back and say they don't get overly HOT (and I don't mean the easy on th eye type of hot (cus they're a lump :rolleyes: ))

11. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Have you run a diagnostics check on your rMBP? If not, reboot and hold the D key until the diagnostics program starts. It takes 3-5 minutes to run and will tell you if there's a problem. If there is, take your rMBP to the Apple Store to get checked out.

If not, then maybe....just maybe...the problem isn't the computer.

12. Wishbrah macrumors regular

By nightmare, do you mean so good it's scary? Cuz that's how I feel about my late 2013 15" 750m. I love it. I wouldn't trust a free FPS on facebook to judge a laptop, let alone one that is decent in gaming.

13. Uggbits macrumors newbie

I'm not going to sit here and say that your points are not valid. The laptop isn't as light as say an air, and it certainly gets hot when you put it under load. That being said, it's hard to take these complaints seriously with the amount of hyperbole present in these posts. I had my rMBP running at a sustained 95 degrees Celsius last night and it was moderately warm to the touch; the air around it didn't set fire.

Here's the thing, when you pack a bunch of high power components into a small space and run them hard, you wind up with both weight and heat. Unfortunately for all of us it's a simple limitation of physics and technology that we are not currently past. If you look at smartphones they have similar limitations, albeit in much smaller platforms and dramatically lower power levels.

Try grabbing a 60 or 80w tungsten lightbulb in your house after it has been on for a while. Glass isn't a great conductor, yet that will surely pull some skin off your hand. That's a crude illustration of the raw power and heat levels you are trying to vent when you load one of these things out.

What I just described is a sensationalist example of why laptops in general are a compromised system. Go elsewhere, see if you are happier by all means, these problems are universal to varying degrees. The problem is that despite all these issues, and the fun that can be had with extreme examples like grabbing lightbulbs, laptops, particularly high ends ones, provide us with more flexibility and power than anything so portable.

It isn't perfect (hell if you want my list of issues it's pretty long) but lets be reasonable in our discussion of fault, instead of bantering inflammatory remarks loosely based on reality.

14. The-Reporter, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

The-Reporter macrumors newbie

A Real Nightmare

My rMBP mid-2014 2.5GHz GT750m has many problems :

-High pitched noise from the left fan.
    -Some noises near the trackpad.
    -Bad thermal dissipation for the CPU.

My MBP No-retina (anti-glare) mid-2012 2.6GHz GT650m is far better to dissipate energy (I did many tests (saturate core @ 100%, 1 to 4 cores, GPU + CPU openCL, ...).
    Example: on the rMBP, with two cores @ 100%, after about 1 minute, the two fans operate at max speed (5900rpm and 6200rpm). In the same conditions, after more than 5 minutes, the fans of my old MBP operate at idle speed (2000rpm).

So, I will return it.

15. MTL18 macrumors regular

Ridiculous thread (again) by same user. People don't announce their personal savings in their signature, nor do they hold onto a $2000.00 brand new product they dislike, nor do they expect their mid 2010 cell phone to be compatible with a late 2014 OS.

Mods should block the user to avoid any future time wasting.

16. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

On what planet do you reside? I am not even going to address the foolishness with your rMBP. Sell the damn thing and buy something else. We all love our Macs, if you don't, then that's your problem.

Now as far as the phone goes, you CANNOT be serious. Do you realize that those who go with Android get ONE software update if they are lucky?

Apple supports the iPhone for far longer than any other company. When I switched to Apple, I was amazed at how well they support their older products, especially iPhone's regarding software updates. They shouldn't be required to support a device with software updates for more than 2 years. The fact that they are supporting them for 4 years is a testament to how well they value customer service.

In a nutshell, Apple takes care of their iPhone customers and you have unrealistic expectations.

17. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Seems extremely weird.

My 15" rMBP (Early 2013) can run many quite demanding games very well and it doesn't even heat to extreme levels.

For example... I play F1 2013 using 1680x1050 resolution and everything set to high basically. Runs flawlesly for hours. I can play Witcher 2 on medium settings and 1440x900 resolution. CS:GO runs perfectly, can't remember my settings but above medium anyways.

There is something wrong with your machine or there is something going on with the game that doesn't like the Mac hardware/software.

18. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Nah ... No need to block.

It's obvious (to me anyway) that they aren't posting for help. They are just venting.

I for one hope that they aren't blocked, as there is some entertainment value to the venting, and I'm sure it's somewhat therapeutic to them to "get things off their chest." So, I don't think there's any real harm being done here ... Yet.

19. Freyqq macrumors 68040

1. get a $20 cooling pad
    2. try macsfancontrol to customize fan speed
    3. flash on OSX is terrible, so I wouldn't fault apple for that. Flash is made by adobe. I would recommend gaming in windows through bootcamp.

20. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

You are probably blocking the cooling vents. Do not put your MBP on a soft thing like a pillow that can cover the vent and insulate the bottom. Put it on a desk and see if that is good.

21. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

Knock it off, the chap's quite amusing.

22. Anitramane macrumors 6502

And why is this a troll thread?

23. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

or claim to own a R8 but cannot afford a 800$ iphone 6....haha