rMBP 15" Performance Question

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by locoboi187, Oct 3, 2013.

1. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

I have a question for those who are testing Mavericks on the rMBP 15". Is there a night and day difference between performance and fluidity? I am just hoping for a 0 lag, smooth, and solid OS X. Also any difference in battery life? Just curious to see what benefits I will gain.

2. leman macrumors G3

I assume that you are talking about difference between ML and Mavericks. The UI seems more responsive on 10.9 and scrolling is definitively smoother, but I would't call it night and day. ML would just stutter sometimes. Mavericks does not. Battery performance has improved for me by 30-50 minutes or so.

3. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

I can cosign all the same behaviors on my 2012 mbpr. It has taken some 'friction' out of the experience

4. Vinz-uk macrumors newbie

I agree also with the two comments above on a 2,3GHz rMBP with 256Go SSD and 8Go of Ram.
    There is definitively less lag btw ML and Mavericks with Mission Control, Safari, Apercu with large PDF Files...
    Furthermore, the battery life also improved to sthg like 1h more to me.

This is more than 2 months, and I have never been using ML anymore.

I now have more than 16 days of uptime, and the performance is still there, no performance reduction, even with 2 VM at the same time and playing games.

Very satisfied with this new OS.

5. locoboi187 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great! Thanks for all your replies. Loving the things I am hearing! :D

6. MeUnix macrumors 6502

If it makes any difference to you, it is a night and day difference for me on my Late '08 Alum MacBook (6GB RAM, 120SSD). It runs much smoother then ML does on my other Mac, in terms of scrolling and battery life.

Like another member said, Mavericks has taken the "friction" out of my OS X experience, although I do like ML overall.

7. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Does Mavericks make OS X smoother on a rMBP?

I'm looking forward to the Mavericks release in the near future... I know it improves safari scrolling, but I find all UI elements to not be super responsive on my rMBP... does Mavericks generally smooth that out a bit or am I going to need to upgrade my machine at some point in the near future?

8. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I find myself running out of RAM on my 8GB rMBP 15, will Mavericks help alleviate this issue?

9. DarkRyoushii macrumors newbie

My friend's Macbook Air Mid 2012 running ML destroys my rMBP Mid 2012 running Mav in both fluidity and performance of animations.

There is just something ****** about the retina and running animations.

10. Hrim macrumors member

My 15" rMBP is pretty fast now with GM. In 1440Hi it flies, and when using a script to run in 2880 it goes even faster (although I can't see much).

Pretty great update, I'm very happy to see the new OS making it faster instead of slower.

11. cecoleman macrumors regular

12. sziehr macrumors 6502a

Safari is like instant speed. The UI still has some lag i have to say not near as much as ML but it is still there I think it is just hardware limitation of the machine. I think they optimized the machine as much as possible now. I am less drawn to the UI lag but when compared to my main desktop 27 it is noticeable. If you do apps in your dock and have it fan out that has some serious lag poping out and showing all the apps. The Mission control UI is 100% now for sure. The Dock UI is 80% it has some clipping of the images as you slow scroll across the icons. I think the new machines will fix this with faster cards and more optimization for those faster cards. I think the idea of HIDPI is here to stay but i think this machine i got thankfully it was refurb was definitely not worth 2k it was going for retail. I do not feel the 1500 i paid for it was over priced at all. So how does mavericks fair i say best upgrade yet I got everything i wanted finally but the UI lag remains ingest

13. Septillion macrumors member

Septillion

I once tried DP1 on rMBP 15, and it's absolutely smoother. No one can promise 0 lag, but it's much less.