RMBP 15" - Problems problems and more problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmwebs, Sep 27, 2013.

1. rmwebs macrumors 68040

I could use some input on some issues I'm having with a 2012 15" rMBP (base model). I use this as my main machine, with two external displays running on the two thunderbolt ports (with DisplayPort > DVI adaptors).

Other peripheral attached is:

1x USB 3.0 HUB - (plugged into the left-side USB port) this has:
    --- 1x 100mbps USB Ethernet adaptor
    --- 3x External HDD

Bose Companion 5 (plugged into the right-side USB port)

I've been having problems build up over the last couple of months. It started with the machine acting unstable and slow (although I have never had a crash or kernel panic) at times, I put it down to the amount of use it gets and was aiming to fix this by formatting when Maverics comes out.

One persistant issue was USB devices suddenly not working, yet if I move then to a different port on the USB hub (i.e swap them over), suddenly they work again. This cant be the hub as I replaced it with a different brand and it continued to happen.

Then randomly the bose speakers will not be found, until I unplug and plug the USB cable again.

Then this week, the magsafe light went out and no longer comes on - yet the mac recognises its plugged in and runs off it fine. Today however my battery is stuck at 80% and is not charging.

Finally I've now also had issues with networking randomly breaking. Suddenly I wont be able to connect to any wifi hotspots (they time out), and the USB ethernet is connected, yet I cant get any outside network connectivity, despite the mac thinking its connected fine.

Things I've tried:

- Reset SMC
    - Reset PRAM
    - Updated to latest OS X Mountain Lion version (10.8.5)
    - Unplugged every USB device and tried them one at a time
    - Tried the magsafe in a different power supply.

One thing I did notice is that there is a tiny spark whenever I plug any USB device in, and if I plug one in when the magsafe isn't connected, you can feel the static coming from it by running your finger across the metal of the laptop - this has been reported before as harmless (I've had it with every aluminum mac I've ever owned) but surely cant be good.

I'm out of ideas now. The last option I can think of is to format it and try that. I'm trying to avoid having to send it in for repair as this is my work machine (Self-employed so cant really just use another computer).

Really stumped how so many damn issues can all exist!

2. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

Shows how messed up this must be. I didnt change anything - all of a sudden about 5 minutes ago the magsafe orange/red light came back on and the battery is now at 94%.

I'm completely stumped as to what the hell is going on :/

3. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Given the rather extensive range of issues you're having, I think doing a clean install with Mavericks (which should be out within a few weeks) would be your best bet if living without your MBP for a few days isn't an option.

Then I'd recommend introducing/installing one app or peripheral at a time to isolate the culprit should the problems crop up again.

I've had problems with buggy audio card firmware affecting the overall performance of an MBP before, but not to the extent you're describing. (The power-supply issue in particular sounds like faulty hardware to me, but that's just a guess.)

If you can't wait for Mavericks, a clean install of OSX 10.8 should achieve the same goal, but knowing how time-consuming that process can be I wouldn't go there unless your computer reaches a point where it's completely unusable. Clean installs are a pain when you have time-sensitive work to get done.

4. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

my july 2013 purchased 15 inch top of the line retina has already had two hardware changes and now two more hard ware changes again. The display will need to be changed again due to white patches. and the logic board as well as the left side usb port is not functioning. Might as well give it in for diagnosis as the new ones are out and ask for a replacement.

5. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Will they replace it or just keep replacing parts?

6. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

I had bought my nephew one for med school, we've had to bring it in already 8 times and the guts have been refurbished over, and over again, they are not replacing, as long as they did not cause the error and as long as we haven't requested that option, they seem to be passive-aggressive about all of it.

So we just sold it today and we're waiting for Oct.2014 when he graduates to consider the generation of mbps then.

Good luck every one!

7. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Did they give you any trouble with repairs? I'm bringing mine in for a few dead pixels(hard to see but I see them) and the speakers being blown a little.. just wanna make sure they don't hassle me over it all

8. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

they have some parameters to judge replacement for dead pixel i believe it had to be something above 5 dark pixels and above 4 bright pixels and a combination of above 5/6 pixels to be given a replacement if my memory serves me right. They will not replace and say its normal if its just 2 or 3 its also written on the technicians guide that they cannot tell the customer how many pixels are considered acceptable.

well my previous macbook pro had an array of issues one display one super drive one mag safe and a logic board which failed in a week again and so i was given a replacement. Will try again this time as i had an issue during my 14 day period but they said it was normal and did not replace it.

9. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the replies all.

Thankfully the display is the one thing that's ok, which is a first for me (My iMacs all had display issues. The worst being a 2007 white Intel iMac with major screen burn even after THREE screen replacements over a period of about 9 months).

I'm going to try and hold out until Mavericks releases as I'd rather not have to reformat with ML only to have to do it again in a few weeks. Managed to fix the networking problems by rebooting a few times.

When the problems aren't happening it's a great machine - extremely powerful for such a thin device. I regularly give it a bit of a punishing with the amount of stuff I have running on it, and it handles it really well.

That being said I think I'll probably hold out with it, get Mavericks up and running once that's out, and then maybe look at moving over to something else early next year if the issues continue.

----------

If I recall there is an official "it must be X number of pixels to be covered for replacement" however from my understanding they don't tend to care - if you take it in with 1, it usually gets replaced. You can always phone the store or applecare and check however.

10. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

must agree with you its a great machine its always zipped past intensive application usage even if you use it day and night and the fans are not as noisy as the previous macbooks. Mines completing 4 months soon and i have around 198 battery load cycles:D

11. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

198 :eek: Somehow mine's only on 44, with 98% health. I tend to leave it plugged in all day (even though I apparently shouldn't) though.

12. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well im constantly out of my house or away from a charge point. While i also use intensive apps 70% of the time it gives me a battery life of around 3-4 hours if not more. As i type this my loadcycle is now 201 with 98% health :D

13. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Tough to say...

You know, it's tough, because I've seen people in there act all helpless and clueless, and get great support, even replacements or huge discounts towards their next gadget. While others who were totally confident, may have had to go to several locations to get exactly what they set out to achieve. So it is tough to really say..

For us personally, it has been great, they just agree with us on every account and get things done right. I'm really confident when it comes to dealing with customer care, managers and corporations, because I've worked in all levels of service and management positions so I know how to get them to move things along. Combination of words, body language, presentation and tone goes a very long way in these dealings..

You'll be fine because you'll be honest. Just keep trying, until you get someone who says sure we'll take care of it. That is possible.

14. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

I agree with vpro. If you're upfront and honest they will have no problem. A lot of the staff will go above and beyond for you.

I remember when I bought my first Mac. A 2007 White Intel iMac. I'd never, ever used a Mac in all my life. However grew so pissed off with Windows, and had a friend who'd always used a Mac, badgering me to get one, and explaining why it was better.

I went into the Applestore in Brent Cross, London, which had only just opened at the time. The place was jam packed and I basically stood there thinking "crap...this may have been a mistake". Then suddenly an american Apple guy said to me "Hey, looks like you could do with some help".

So I explained what I wanted to do, and he cleared space for me to try out a few different machines, explaining the pros/cons of each for what I wanted to be able to do on it. He made a sale right there - the customer service was amazing...none of this fobbing off crap that we get at PCWorld/Currys in the UK about how you need the most expensive model to browse the web.

The guy knew his stuff, and even told me to call the store and ask for him if I needed any advice with it.

Then about a year and a half later the USB/Power bus died, so I phoned the same shop and took it back in at their request. The same guy was still there, and he repaired it on the spot.

Can't fault that really. They made me a customer for life :)

15. Serban Suspended

There is law that encourages for repair or replace the display even with 1 pixel, the product is not the same with your configuration asked from apple. You bought a 15" display with 2880-by-1800 pixels and if one pixel is dead is not according to the specs