rMBP 15" Random High Fan Speed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jas07, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jas07 macrumors regular

jas07

Hi Guys,

Ive just got a replacement rMBP after the first one failed on me 2 weeks after getting it, this one seems to be fine apart from the Fans... They're spinning right up to full speed 6000RPM at completely random times even when the machine is doing nothing :confused: Temps are fine (CPU Temp 38c)

Ive reset the SMC (At least I believe so, Shift + Ctrl + Alt + Power and release then power on) to no avail, anyone got any ideas?

I dont want to have to take another machine back... Getting a bit sick of it waiting 2 weeks to ship from China each time! :(

Cheers
    Jason

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

3. jas07 thread starter macrumors regular

jas07

Thanks for the KB Link!

Followed that guide to the letter, still doing it :(

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If it doesn't help, I'd give AppleCare a call. Best case, they may know some tricks you can do without having to take it in to get looked at. Worst case, they'll have you take back in to get looked at. :(

With the system completely idle, the fans shouldn't have a need to go full speed like that. You're not sitting on a beach in Australia or something, are you? Maybe the ambient area temperature is causing a heat issue.

5. jas07 thread starter macrumors regular

jas07

Yeah I was thinking the same, definitely worth a try first.

Nope I'm in the UK and its -2c and snowing outside! My 2010 MBA is set next to me stone cold on idle... Progress for you!

6. kaskone macrumors newbie

did you find problem / soulution?

7. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Mine was doing that and apparently was due to Itunes and other apps being running. What specifically do you have running when it happens?