rMBP 15" Retina Screen assembly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by colinor, Nov 22, 2012.

1. colinor macrumors newbie

colinor

Hi Guys,

After a month research, conversations with Apple Care in UK, US and CA I found out that Apple will not replace my broken retina screen for free... I am from Bulgaria and the authorised service centre asking me 900 Euros for the repair. I found some full assembly retina screens on ebay which are original Apple. I got in touch with one of the sellers and here is our communications below. The screen they offer is LG and that bothers me a bit as there a are some faulty LGs... As the price is way less than the 900 Euros Ive been asked to pay It is a good options... they offer 12 months warranty and covering all shipment expenses... Would you guys give me an advice...

Here is my communication with him:
    Hi there,

I am looking for an original Apple Macbook pro 15" Retina Screen Assembly (with the top aluminium cover) Would you give me more details about the screen you are offering, manufacturer (samsung or LG), shipping cost with DHL and what does the warranty you provide cover? Would you please give me your best price for the item.

Thanks.

Thanks for your message , it is apple original brand new Apple MacBook Pro 15" A1398 With Retina Display Model LCD LED Screen Assembly , must can meet your demand well , due to item cover with apple logo , so if send it by DHL , the DHL shipping cost is higher , the DHL Shipping cost around USD60.

Hi there,

thanks for your quick reply. Just a few more questions:
    What model is the screen LG or Samsung, if shipped with DHL to Bulgaria how long is it going to take, how about customs taxes, can you help on that?

Thanks
    Thanks for your prompt reply , the screen brand is LG , the part No is : LP154WT1 (SJ) (A1) GD .

if send it by DHL , you will get it within 6 days after payment done . in order to saving tax , we can put undervalue cost on bill , such as will put it as USD160 undervalue cost on bill , in this case , you just need to pay less tax .

Thanks for the quick response,

Do you have in stock Samsung made screens as they are more reliable? If so, I can proceed with the order...
    thanks , but for now , our screen brand is LG brand not Samsung brand
    Hi there,

Not a problem. I am asking as some of the LG screens are with defect. Please find below the statement for the faulty screens and please let me know which one is the one you are selling.

Quick update of faulty or perfect display stats:

faulty:
    LG week unknown (9x)
    LG week 23 (3x)
    LG week 24 (3x)
    LG week 26 (4x)
    LG week 29 (2x)
    LG week 30 (3x)
    LG week 31 (2x)
    LG week 32 (3x)
    LG week 33 (2x)
    Unknown week 24

perfect:
    LG week unknown (2x)
    LG week 26 (3x)
    LG week 29
    LG week 32
    LG week 33 (2x)
    Samsung week unknown (2x)
    Samsung week 23
    Samsung week 30 (2x)
    Samsung week 32
    Samsung week 33 (3x)

Thanks,
    thanks for your message , sorry , i am not sure about it . i just know this is a intact Apple MacBook Pro 15" A1398 With Retina Display Model LCD LED Screen Assembly , it is apple original brand new parts from apple factory directly , so must in super good condition .
    How about the waranty you provide? In case i received it with some pixels missing or other defect? I am not saying you are selling bad items but it is quite expencive part and I need to be sure I bay something good... Any chance for you to find out what the model is?
    Thanks for your message , we offer 12 months warranty , any defect , can send back for full refund , i pay for goods return shipping cost .

What do you think? The price he asks is around $560

Thanks,

2. nickbarbs macrumors regular

Skip it, LG = image retention. unless you're cool with that. :cool:

3. Dyno-Mike macrumors regular

Plus the exploding pixels issue that I too have experienced.

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I don't know that I'd be so quick to throw it away because it's an LG.

Question I would have, is that if the original is replaced with this unit and you DO experience an issue, will Apple subsequently handle it under warranty.

I ran into a similar discussion with Apple over my son's 15" cMBP that took a drink spill to the point it fried. Apple would fix it for $1240 and not void the warranty, but only, and it was a big only - if they supplied all the parts. Not even an aftermarket hard drive. He even still had the option of buying Applecare on it kind of not voiding the warranty.

5. nickbarbs macrumors regular

personally i dont see how Apple would even know the screen wasn't theirs... if it was part of the original spec of the machine and the part is apple made

6. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

US $560 sound a lot better than $900 Euros. Your old one is LG or Samsung?

7. colinor thread starter macrumors newbie

colinor

Samsung

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I agree. Only thing I see that could get it is that it was in for repair, with no closed resolution to the service ticket. Then it could potentially be a "Who replaced the screen?" thing.

9. colinor thread starter macrumors newbie

colinor

The computer has never been in for repair. There is no open case or something... so I think there is no chance for apple to find out that the monitor has been replaced... no stickers... The problem is that I should find a Samsung screen...

10. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Me? I'd personally save the $ and buy the LG. If you have issues with it take it back to Apple and get it replaced under warranty. Not all LG screens have issues. If it gets replaced with a Samsung under warranty you still only paid for an LG.

If you paid Apple to do it you may well get an LG screen also, you can't demand a Samsung one.

I will say though, that your original message referenced "conversations with Applecare" - there's a service record on that machine. You don't talk to them without supplying them your serial#

11. bill-p macrumors 65816

I don't think it's as simple as popping an LG screen in and then getting Apple to replace it when there are issues.

You may not see any stickers, but Apple has a way to know if you have been tinkering with your MacBook Pro's internal connectors all by yourself. I know from experience with a 2009 model.

So I'm 99.9% sure you'll void your warranty replacing the screen. But... as it is, since the screen is damaged, you have already voided it in any case.

I'd personally swallow the 900 Euro just to get the peace of mind that the replacement screen did indeed come from Apple, and that if there are issues down the line, you can get them to replace it.

If you get that $560 LG screen, there is no guarantee you won't run into issues, and then the next replacement can potentially cost you just as much.

12. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

Apple only have Samsung replacement screens. They don't replace with LG.

Says a lot about a company who are basically admitting to knowing that LG displays are subpar and slyly replacing them through the back door.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

What evidence do you have for that claim?

14. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

Apple genius. The only product code on their database now is the Samsung retina display.

Check out the huge IR thread on the Apple community section, it's all but confirmed.

15. colinor thread starter macrumors newbie

colinor