rmbp 15 -----> rmb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jetjaguar, May 26, 2015.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I am considering selling off my 2014 base rmbp 15 for a high end rmb. I have plans on buying a retina iMac down the road so i don't need the power. All i do with my laptop is browse the net, email, excel, word ..etc and watch youtube. The rmb should be plenty right ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, the rMB will handle that workload just fine.

3. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Yes, I guess. Are you looking at the weight savings, 2 lbs v. 4.5 lbs? (Which is significant.) To me the problem with the new MB is the single usb-c port, as opposed to the several interfaces you have now in your 15". If you're currently plugging anything into it, you'll have to get adapters for it to work with the new MB.

4. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Not plugging anything in ... I will bring this all over since I will also have an imac

5. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

I'd go for a rMB for those tasks. Heck as a developer I've been debating switching it up due to the portability, my only concern is TB displays not working or something about a lack of connector. Though I might be weeks behind and someone has figured it out.

I have been using my 13" Retina MBP 90% of the time and not getting as much use from my almost maxed out late 2013 27" iMac (512SSD instead of 1TSSD). When I do jump on the iMac it's a beast and love the real estate but sometimes I feel lost with all that screen compared to using a 13" all day.

I think the biggest drawbacks of the new 12" MacBook IMHO would be having a lot of browser tabs open, many email accounts, lots of Excel docs open and YouTube streaming. I don't think it would be torture but would start to see the limitations of the processor.

Personally I'd go for it :)

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

A rMB will do all that fine, go for it if you want something more portable.

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

You can use your awesome ipad unlimited plan to tether to

8. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Yep

9. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

damn macmall only has the 1.2 512gb in stock .. no 1.3:(