rMBP 15" Scaling Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBeverage, Feb 2, 2014.

1. TheBeverage macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've been trying to get some games going on Steam using my 15" retina MacBook Pro, and for the most part running them in 1440x900 results in a nice, clear pixel doubled screen. For some reason, certain games don't scale properly, and rather than using pixel doubling they seem to be scaled with a blur filter. Specifically, I've been having trouble with Crusader Kings 2 and other Paradox titles.

Now, I've done quite a bit of research on this, and none of the recommended "resolution switching" programs fix the issue. This seems to be because Crusader Kings 2 uses a different type of scaling than other games (and other non-retina apps in general). For some reason the game uses bilinear filtering instead of the nearest neighbor scaling that results in what looks like pixel doubling.

From what I've read, actually disabling the bilinear filtering (which also comes up when one tries to run Windows 7 or change their desktop resolution to non-hiDPI 1440x900) seems to be next to impossible. Rather than that, I'd like to know if anyone has figured out why certain full screen applications don't use the default nearest neighbor scaling, and also if there is any way to change the method that is used for specific applications within OS X.

Thanks in advance.

2. leman macrumors 604

AFAIK, the algorithm OS X uses to scale content is bilinear filtering. You cannot change that. Its actually a bit strange that there is a difference between games in the first place...