rMBP 15" Speed of Fans.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 0r30, Jan 26, 2013.

1. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

Hi all

I recently purchased a rMBP 15" 2.7 i7 16g and have been having some concerns about the fans. The fans start up very randomly when web browsing or searching a large pdf file. All while around 35-40C and fan speed going up to almost 6k.

Also another concern is how loud the fans are suppose to be?

Yesterday while sitting in a classroom lecture my rMBP decided to ramp up and they would not slow down and had no choice but to close my laptop as I did not want to disrupt the professor lecturing.(fans sounded like a mini jet)

I have done two SMC resets this morning. Any input from other fellow rMBP holders would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Hmm--that doesn't sound right at all. Temps are just fine--about what mine run with web browsing but your fans should stay around 2K at that temp. May need a trip to Apple Store to check out.

3. Maggot FF macrumors member

Maggot FF

You can try resetting your smc a couple more times. many people on here has had to reset their smc up to 6-7 times before getting their issues fixed. If you still encounter the issue, you should probably bring it in.

4. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

Do the 15 rMBP fans have a max RPM? On my MBA they max out at 6496, according to iStat Pro. 1996 is idle speed, which is inaudible even without the new asymmetrical blade fans.

5. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

Get gfxcardstatus and see if the fans speed up when its using the dedicated GPU. Also go to Apple, they did fan diagnostics for me. Although everything was fine, they still cleaned the vents for me if there was any dust or debris. After that, my computer felt cooler and no loud noises

6. --AG-- macrumors member

Any success with your fan speed problem? I have the same experience with mine. Not often though, but my older MacBook pros never max out the fans for such low CPU temps.