rMBP 15 takes long time to go to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ctbear, Dec 11, 2012.

1. ctbear macrumors 6502a

My base rMBP 15" takes a long delay before entering sleep. After I select "Sleep" from the menu bar, nothing happens for 30 seconds and it suddenly goes black and enters sleep. It wakes up almost instantly though. Has anyone seen this?

2. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

I could be wrong But I believe this is because of hybernation mode. Basically your system caches the entire RAM files on your SSD and then goes to sleep so that in case of sudden power loss you dont lose your unsaved files.

does your rMBP have 16 or 8gb of ram?

3. ctbear thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine has 8GB. Is that a Mountain Lion feature? I don't have this problem with my work MBP running Lion.

4. AirThis macrumors 6502a

5. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

How much ram does your work MBP have?

I have 16Gb of RAM and an SSD in my 13" MBP and I too was experience slow sleep times. But it was because it was taking a bit to cache the ram to the SSD. And all those writes will shorten the life of your SSD if your putting in sleep mode a lot.

But follow the instructions linked below to turn it off. And if you want to turn it on you can do that in the future too

6. ctbear thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure if mine is related to safe sleep, but I will definitely give it a try.

It has 8GB as well, except that it runs Lion. My coworker has the same MBP I have at work and he upgraded to Mountain Lion as soon as it came out, and he saw the same sleep issue.