rMBP 15" Temp at 98 Celsius When Converting videos

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkundi, Jul 3, 2014.

1. jkundi macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm just a little concerned about my rMBP which I've owned for 2 months. I use it for web and video production most of the time and for the last three days I have been converting video formats which makes the temperarure hit 98 Celsius for a straight 12 hours of use per day. I have my fans at full speed and sitting in a cool room. I'm just worried I may kill my rMBP 2.3GHz i7, will it survive the ordeal. Anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its expected when doing something as CPU intensive that the temps will increase. What's the normal temperatures that you see when not pushing it so hard?

3. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Processor wise 98C is the average peak temp MBP/Mac minis will hit under full load for that level of sustained task. Average idle-mid CPU load temps to expect for an air conditioned room should be between 60-70C in the summer.

Use a notebook cooling pad to reduce the load on the internal fans sometimes it'll help drop the temp by 5-8C, if you're doing that for 12 hours it'll slowly put a dent into the battery and lithium batteries are prone to having a shortened life under sustained heat. My old 2010 MBP had a shortened life as DC/NYC temps were much higher than New England so battery capacity rapidly half-ed by the 3rd year :eek:

4. jkundi thread starter macrumors member

Normal temperature when surfing the web and not doing much is around 50-55C. I bought a Belkin cooling stand early on today and it's not helped at all. Perhaps Belkin are not good. Any recommendations?

5. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

Is it an active cooling (integrated fan/cooling base) or passive (just allows more air) ?

6. jkundi thread starter macrumors member

It's this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001HNOLBI/ref=pd_aw_sbs_1/280-5477772-0983732?pi=SS115

I don't think it's helped at all.

7. simsaladimbamba

It is a passive one and since it is made of plastic, it does not conduct heat as good as something made from metal, like a MacBook Pro with Retina Display for example.

Also read the link I posted, it will show you, that the CPU can withstand such temperatures and will not shorten its life, but then again, those aftermarket laptop coolers need their money.

8. jkundi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Yeah I will return it as it's not made a difference. So technically speaking I can continue converting my files and not damage my rMBP hopefully won't be more than a day or two not including overnight when it is turned off.

9. simsaladimbamba

Yes, I have run my slow 2009 MBP at maximum load for several weeks to transcode something or capture something and it still works.

10. priitv8 macrumors 68030

Disabling TurboBoost will cut CPU temps by as much as 20*C but obviously you will pay back with longer encode times.

11. jkundi thread starter macrumors member

I thought that was something you can not disable? :confused:

12. isaacallen macrumors newbie

Im 95% sure you cannot disable it but generally speaking, encoding uses all of the cores. Turbo boost really only activates when not all of the cores are in use.
    So even if you could disable it, it wouldn't make a difference.

Isaac

13. priitv8, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

priitv8 macrumors 68030

Yes you can. You need the KEXT for that.
    It will. About 20*C as I said. Because the net effect (on my 2.7GHz i7 CPU) is, that no core will ever be boosted beyond 2.7GHz. Check the attached pic of starting a HandBrake conversion with TB enabled and then disabling it.
    I have it disabled on my machine, most of the time. It caps also the power consumption of CPU to around 1/2 of it's design maximum : 45W.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1387883
    You will also find a link to Turbo Boost Switcher for OS X in that thread.

Attached Files:

• IPG.png
      IPG.png
      File size:
      338.6 KB
      Views: