rMBP 15" trackpad issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, May 27, 2015.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have a 15" rMBP (late 2013), and I noticed today that the left side of the trackpad takes a lot less force than the right side to depress. Like 1/10 the amount of force. The left side also makes almost no noise when depressing. But the right side is really loud and takes much more force to depress. The trackpad still depresses everywhere, and a click is still registered. Has this happened to anyone else, and is this a problem that can be fixed?

2. newellj macrumors 601

No...sounds like a possible trip to the Apple Store for a genius appointment - Apple Care in place?

3. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah, I have Applecare. Oddly enough I put it on the table and the clicking seems uniform. It must have been the angle I was pressing it when it was on my lap or something. I'll keep an eye on it.

4. N51ºW4º macrumors newbie

I have this exact issue with my 15" rMBP (late 2013), I first noticed it after about 4 months of use and found if I used 2 hands to uniformly press down on the trackpad and hold for around 10 seconds it would be back to normal for the duration of use but the problem would be back when I returned to it say after a few hours.
    After lots of googleing and searching threads on this forum the only answers I could find were people with 2011 macs who had swollen batteries (removeable) that were pushing up against the trackpad. I had always kept mine plugged in as it always sits at my desk and I didn't think it would do any harm but it made me wonder so I started to cycle the battery every day down to about 25% and it seemed to make a big difference. I now cycle the battery around twice a week and the trackpad is clicking as it should.

This could all be coincidental as I can't find any evidence anywhere of late 2013 rMBPs having swollen battery issues but that's what worked for me.