rMBP 15" wear 'n tear ..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBilal, May 16, 2016.

?

Do you feel having your MacBook's fans running while you're working .. is wearing out the laptop? ..

1. YES! .. SERIOUS wear 'n tear ..

2. yeah .. minimal wear 'n tear ..

3. yes, but I wouldn't worry about it ..

4. I hope not ..

5. while the motherboard, ram, etc. don't have wear 'n tear .. moving parts like the fan do!

6. computers are meant to be USED .. so _use_ it and wear it out and get another one ..

7. very little wear 'n tear .. will shorten your notebook's life ..

8. very little wear 'n tear .. will NOT shorten your notebook's life .. thanks to Apple's build quality

9. I KNOW there's no wear 'n tear ..

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. iBilal macrumors regular

iBilal

Hi everyone!

I had a quick question .. I do a lot of research and love Chrome .. which means I always have A LOT of windows and tabs open .. I've noticed when I have a lot of windows/tabs open in Chrome (which is most of the time) .. the computer starts to get warm .. and the fans are forever on (a little annoying) .. I just hope I'm not damaging the machine .. I mean there's no "wear 'n tear" to a laptop, is there? .. I travel with it and take very good care of it .. but I can't help but to feel I'm shortening its' life by having the fans whirl on and on .. or maybe it'll get worn out or some rubber thing somewhere will melt .. I hope that's not the case .. I love Apple for the quality (among other reasons) of their products .. they just last forever ..

Would love some input ..

Thanks everyone,

Bilal

P.S. please note the POLL I've posted is multiple choice .. so you can submit up to 3 replies ..

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Honestly, Chrome is a terrible browser on both Windows and Mac.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The fans running constantly will cause additional wear compared to them not running constantly. How much it will reduce the life of the fans isn't really known. Either way, it's a computer. Just use it however you like. If the fans wear out, they're inexpensive and easy to replace.

4. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

I love the extensions .. does Safari even have extensions? ..

I was always under the impression FireFox was a RAM hog and this and that .. is it better? .. but does it have the extensions? ..

5. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

I can't believe I agree with you on something. It really is godawful.

6. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

REALLY!? .. it's my primary browser .. and I have A LOT of tabs/windows open ..

OMG! .. what would you guys suggest? ..

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I used safari in my Mac for most things.

8. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Safari

9. !!! macrumors 6502

!!!

Use safari and stop putting two periods after every 5 words.

10. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Literally anything else. I use Safari, and never have issues.

11. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

the two periods is just how I type .. I type like I talk .. so phrases, thoughts, etc. .. and that's how I type ..

I'm sorry if you don't like it ..

anyway .. so Safari, huh? .. ok, I'll start migrating bookmarks and stuff over ..

12. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

You need to correct your typing or people will get tired and stop communicating with you.

If you like Chrome, then keep using it. Don't listen to other people. It's not going to wear your computer down.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Fans spinning will cause them to wear out by design. Everything wears out with use. Shoes, car engines, hearts. Wear is normal. Premature wear, obviously not, but that is what warranties are for. Your MBP has a fan in it because the processors get hot and need cooling. I wouldn't worry about the fans wearing out -- there is nothing you can do to prevent it anyway. You probably won't own your MBP when that happens.

14. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

If anything, using Chrome will wear out your battery cycles long before it burns out your fans.

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Most likely by the time the fans start to wear out, you may not even own the computer anymore.

I only had one computer out of probably 20 where the fan died. It was on a HP desktop. I went out and bought another fan the next day. It didn't fit right but one screw held it in and the fan did it's job.

Never had a fan go out yet in any laptop, HP or Apple. I've probably owned as many HPs as I have Apple.

16. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Overheating electronics causes wear and tear so take your pick. Did you buy it to use it? If so, let the fan do its thing to keep temps in check.

17. iBilal thread starter macrumors regular

iBilal

I suppose you're right .. I'll probably replace it far before there's a fan issue .. I replace my laptop every two years or so ..

18. MadDane macrumors 6502a

Within two years there is nothing to worry about. You are probably talking 5+ years before it becomes an issue (unless dust builds up inside the machine at an extraordinary rate).

As emilioestevez pointed out, Chrome probably wears more on your battery than on the fans. I used to use Chrome on my 13" rMBP but then a friend of mine pointed out how much it drains the battery. I switched over to Safari and my battery life doubled. I am still using Chrome on my iMac (since there is not battery) because I still like the browser, despite what the general opinion in here seems to be :) But I am not using and will not use Chrome on a laptop again.

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

There is Only one sensible answer here. A computer is a tool, tools wear out when you use them.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

my 2012 rMBP is going strong, I see no issues with this laptop after using it every day for over 3 years and then giving it to my kids and who are now using it every day and yes they're pushing the laptop pretty hard with the fans running a lot more then when I had it. I'm quite impressed with the quality and performance even after all these years.

21. Alphazoid macrumors 6502a

Alphazoid

Ditto. I really don't get the love-fest everyone has for it. It is useless on anything other than Android where it is mildly tolerable. Firefox/Safari are miles better.

22. Nueve macrumors member

I'd use Safari but Ad blocker doesn't work on Safari.

23. Alphazoid macrumors 6502a

Alphazoid

Yes it does.

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 10.45.09 pm.png

24. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

I use Chrome for work (dev) and Safari for everything personal related.

Chorme is used about 8-10 hours a day with my dev extensions.
    When I code in coffee shops or in the park the battery on my top of the line Macbook Pro lasts about 3 hours (mind you, I get about 7 hours using Safari)
    Damn, Chrome sucks.

25. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Use uBlock instead, its better anyway. Less resource hungry.