rMBP 15" with 750M and Chrome

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I discovered today that Chrome was occasionally turning on the dGPU of my 15" rmbp with 750M, which affects battery life negatively. I was able to isolate the issue to webgl. If the site activates webgl (example, google maps), then the dgpu activates. WebGL can be disabled in chrome://flags, and it doesn't seem to cause any changes in web sites whatsoever. When webgl is disabled in chrome, the dGPU never activates in my testing.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Chrome is a resource hog.

I always use Safari.

3. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

While I really like Safari, I don't like that you can't choose to sync bookmarks but not open tabs, etc. Also the fact that there is no windows version makes it hard for cross-compatibility for bookmark syncing. Finally, there are limited extensions for Safari, which is its greatest weakness.

4. Vilacr macrumors regular

These are the exact same reasons I use chrome.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Just nonsense

http://safari_for_windows.en.downloadastro.com/

There is a safari for windows.

Extensions in chrome are some of the biggest resource hogs and hammer your battery.

You have a choice use chrome and accept a big battery hit or use something else and change the way you work for better battery life.

6. vbedia macrumors regular

I've been using Google chrome until recently, I stopped using it when Youtube videos no longer required Flash player. From now on, everything on Safari. Google chrome on OS X is not as well optimized as it is on Windows, in fact it is a battery sucker among other things. Some times it triggered the dGPU when I was watching videos.

7. kazibole macrumors member

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This, and without updates, it's a security breach waiting to happen if you try to install it.

That said, there is an iCloud bookmarks plugin for Chrome, which allows you to do it on Windows and linux f you want to use Chrome on those platforms, and an overarching iCloud plugin for Windows which enables it for Internet Explorer.