rMBP 15 with 750m and Windows?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Storaro, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Storaro macrumors newbie

I am about to order my first Macbook ever, and I need to decide between:
    13 inch 2.8 i5/512gb SSD/8 GB RAM
    15 inch 2.2 i7/256gb SSD/Iris Pro
    15 inch 2.5 i7/512gb SSD/Nvidia. (These are my only options, I cannot configure them where I live.)

So I decided to go for the top model, but I realized I will need to run Windows at times due to specific company software. How bad the battery life is going to be since the 750m GPU will have to be ON all the time?

I would have gone for the base model, but I do not think 256 GB is going to be enough for me, especially with the Windows installation.

These are my only choices because I am getting them from a local company and using my company's discount.

2. ApoorvPrem macrumors regular

ApoorvPrem

Depends on the usage. But yeah it would reduce to around 4 hours with normal usage.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Depending on the software, you could always run Windows in a virtual machine.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well if theses are your only choices and you need 512GB of storage, then that answers that - the top line is your only viable option.
    Depending on the windows software you need, I'd look into running Vmware Fusion, that way you can run windows inside OS X. This will help with the overall battery.

Running Windows via bootcmap will drain the battery faster and the laptop will run hotter, how much so, I can't say. I never really measure how long my battery lasts in Windows vs. OS X. I have since removed windows from my rMBP anyways (I now have a surface pro 3 to compliment my rMBP).

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have a late 2013 15" rmbp.

Yeah, I would highly recommend this. If it's light software, like microsoft office level of power requirements, a VM would be more than adequate. I use virtualbox, and it does not activate the dgpu, so you get about the same battery life as if it were a native OSX application.

I have bootcamp too, and it runs very well. However, the dgpu is active all the time, which cuts battery life in half.