rMBP 15" with iris pro or amd m370x

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarrelUnd124, Jul 13, 2015.

1. DarrelUnd124 macrumors newbie

DarrelUnd124

Hi guys I'm currently a grade 9 student and I'm planning to buy a macbook pro 15 because I want it to be future proof as long as possible maybe 4+ years and I'm currently confused and maybe some people think maybe it is a bit overkill for student like me and I'm doing like light gaming, a bit of photo editing and doing typing for school bulletin, some music production ,and in Indonesia which is my country

The specs are: rMBP 15 :
    2.2 ghz core i7
    256GB ssd
    Iris pro 5200
    Force touch
    16 GB ram

Or

2.5 ghz core i7
    512GB ssd
    Iris pro 5200 & amd r9 m370x
    Force touch
    16 GB ram

And in my country the is no option to upgrade to 2.8 ghz i7 and 1 tb ssd
    And I'm confused ,my question is : there is any advantage by getting m370x over iris pro?

p.s: music production is I'm planning I want to do about after 2nd grade in senior high school

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Firstly there is no such thing as future proofing, any differences now will mean little in 5 years time, that being said the M370X will allow better gaming with more modern games for longer.

It sounds like what you do would be fine on any reasonable laptop so it really doesn't matter which spec you get. To be honest if you want it for school I'd go with the 13 inch rMBP it is much more portable and has a better battery life, this will be great for school.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like either machine will fit your needs. My personal preference would be to go with the iGPU only machine.

4. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

I'd go for the one with amd r9 m370x, its very very useful, without graphics, it limited, things can get choppy at times, mines a mid 2012 and i used it for a imovie project, worked great.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If it's just light gaming plus music production, the baseline 15" will suit you.

The only thing that might be a bit restrictive would be the 256GB SSD, which isn't upgradeable after purchase.

6. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

If you can afford the m370x version I would get that. It will perform better with any game, and the system will even run a bit smoother during graphically intensive tasks. It also has double the hard drive space and a slightly faster CPU. But if you can't then the other one is still a good model.

7. puelocesar macrumors member

The AMD m370x is useless. You won't do high end gaming on a Macbook anyway, so don't even bother with the dGPU. I'm using the base 15" model and it's more then enough for my uses (user interface design and iOS development).

As for light gaming, it runs Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 easily, and currently I'm playing Darksiders 2 on bootcamp with good enough settings (60fps at 720p).

If you want to play heavy games like Witcher 3, just buy a PS4 with the price difference, it will play much better and with much less headaches.

8. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I wouldn't call the M370X useless, as it will be significantly faster than the Iris Pro, but in general I agree. The Iris Pro is more than powerful enough as long as you aren't trying to run games Witcher 3 or Crysis 3.

I have an 8/256/Iris Pro 15" and it handles everything like Borderlands, Killing Floor, Source Engine Games, Diablo 3, etc with no sweat. I think the high-end model is massive overkill for the OP.

9. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Its a good chip, No it wont making your MacBook a gaming rig, but it will allow you to play GTA V on normal at 1080p. Its over twice as fast as the intel Iris.

10. Repelle macrumors regular

As some others have mentioned, don't consider the MBP a gaming machine. It just isn't that good.

I ended up choosing the 2015 15" base spec as I didn't need the extra storage and am not going to play many (if any) games. I tried Kerbal Space Program the other day and the fan was going crazy, it really wasn't a great experience despite it being lag free.

If you don't need the storage I'd stick with the base model.

11. puelocesar macrumors member

It's not a bad chip, but for it's price, you are way better off buying a console. At least in my country, with the price diference between the two 15" models, you can buy 2 PS4s.

12. illadee, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017

illadee macrumors newbie

Sry for upping this:

But if i want to do a bit Video Editing - is it ok to get the 2015 intel iris one? The AMD Version is hard too find here...
    Thx!