Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applepie555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Is there any worthwhile difference between the first gen and second gen rMBPs, aside from clock speed? Second gen is more expensive. I heard that it might have some newer parts, but I haven't heard of any of those parts actually affecting anything. Image retention, high temps occur on both models. Has anyone actually noticed a difference?

Also, how much hotter is a 2.6 vs a 2.3/4? I might play some games, some cpu intensive...I want to avoid throttling if possible..

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
I wouldn't really call the Feb refresh a 2nd gen. It was more of a slight fix and a very minor speed bump. Haswell will be the 2nd gen

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Is there any worthwhile difference between the first gen and second gen rMBPs, aside from clock speed? Second gen is more expensive. I heard that it might have some newer parts, but I haven't heard of any of those parts actually affecting anything. Image retention, high temps occur on both models. Has anyone actually noticed a difference?

Also, how much hotter is a 2.6 vs a 2.3/4? I might play some games, some cpu intensive...I want to avoid throttling if possible..

Mid-2012 MBPR can come with Samsung or LG screens, and Samsung 830 or Toshiba SandForce for SSD.

Early 2013 MBPR comes with 100MHz speed bumps on the CPU, courtesy of Intel's Ivy Bridge mid-cycle refresh. This is not "second generation", it's a refresh. Same display variation, addition of SanDisk for SSD.

LG screens are prone to "image retention" (read: if this bothers you, go back to a TN display!) while exhibiting better overall colors.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Apple never use 1 or 2 gen term they just called it as Early, Mid, Late…. I believe Apple got rid of "Late" model. Anyway I am happy with my mid 2012 rMBP. :apple:

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
If you are looking at the 2.7 GHZ version, be aware that the 2012 release has a 8mb L3 cache, while the feb 2013 release has the 6mb L3 cache (on 2013 the one with the 8mb cache is the 2.8 BTO model)

katmeef

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2010
LG screens are prone to "image retention" (read: if this bothers you, go back to a TN display!) while exhibiting better overall colors.

Or just return it till you get a samsung without IR. No need to accept inferiority on a premium priced machine.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Or just return it till you get a samsung without IR. No need to accept inferiority on a premium priced machine.

As has been noted over the past few months here by several owners, the LG SA2 is a far superior screen than the Samsung with fewer IR problems reported than the Samsung screen. About 1% of the SA1s used in "gen1" rMPB had a tendency to IRIf you care about color, clarity, contrast... etc get the LG. The refresh fixed a couple nagging thermal problems but, I think, more importantly began the release of the SA2.

I think you need to get your facts straight, get up to date, instead of repeating year old rubbish as the current state of the rMBP.

The refreshed units are better machines, but when pushed, they will run hot just like the older models.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
You're not only playing with the display panel lottery, you're also playing with the SSD lottery.

LG display, Samsung SSD
LG display, Toshiba SSD
LG display, SanDisk SSD
Samsung display, Samsung SSD
Samsung display, Toshiba SSD
Samsung display, SanDisk SSD

Only the Samsung+Samsung combo is worth having for the MBPR, that's 1 of 6. What inferiority? This is like gambling your life's savings at Las Vegas for a super jackpot.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
You're not only playing with the display panel lottery, you're also playing with the SSD lottery.

LG display, Samsung SSD
LG display, Toshiba SSD
LG display, SanDisk SSD

Only the Samsung+Samsung combo is worth having for the MBPR, that's 1 of 6. What inferiority? This is like gambling your life's savings at Las Vegas for a super jackpot.

Well, I think last year there were that many options in SSD's as now, but I won the double Jackpot with my third rMBP (first 2 had LG SJA1 displays and Samsung SSD!!! :D

applepie555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012

LG display, Samsung SSD
LG display, Toshiba SSD
LG display, SanDisk SSD

What's so bad about the Toshiba and SanDisk SSDs? I heard problems with the SanDisks were fixed

sonjdsh

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2013
I heard that it might have some newer parts, but I haven't heard of any of those parts actually affecting anything. Image retention, high temps occur on both models.
E7jva

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.