rMBP- 2.3Ghz vs 2.6Ghz vs 2.7Ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlexBass, Jul 27, 2012.

1. AlexBass macrumors regular

So I was considering upgrading from my 2 year old MBP after upgrading from HDD to SSD and 4Gb RAM to 8GB RAM and realising that the biggest bottlenecks of the system were the only things you couldn't replace- the CPU and GPU. When comparing them to the rMBP, they look pathetic.

So when looking at the Apple site, messing around with some configurations, it hit me that I didn't want to make the same mistake of getting the baseline MBP, because I will be using it as my main computer (Gaming, Word stuff, Windows etc). So if I were to go for the baseline, that would be the CPU I'd have to live with.

As they don't offer different choices for the GPU, I can't stress that subject because there is nothing I can do. And I know that getting the 2.3GHz model means I am limited to 256GB space, that is sufficent enough for me, if need be, I'll use my current SSD as an external storage device.

So the question is- What is the performance difference between the three CPU models (I know they are just speeds)? And which should I get, considering that my rMBP will be my main, and only computer?

EDIT: I was just thinking, are the different speeds just different overclocks? If so, I can do that myself, right?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're not going to notice an appreciable increase in going to 2.6 or 2.7 for real world applications. The important factors are SSD and ram, if you can live with the SSD at 256, then its up to you if you want 8gb or 16gb. I'd recommend the 16 only because its hardwired and cannot be changed after the fact

3. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

Agreed that the real world performance difference will be negligible in perception. I have the base and it is quite zippy. Restarting this thing is faster than my old HP firing up most programs.

4. AlexBass thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

I think I'll go for the 2.6Ghz model so I can get 512GB storage just in case and get 16GB RAM, which I will most likely need when running several OS's at once.

I'm not going to bother paying an extra $250 just to say I have the highest end rMBP so I'll stick to 2.6GHz.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Sounds like a good choice, that is the config I am considering ordering. BTW, to have the highest end you'd need both the 2.7 Ghz and 768GB SSD.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Exactly my reasoning for buying the same model myself.

7. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

The real bottleneck is HDD. SSD is going to improve speed of overall system.

8. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I think £500 is crazy for the difference of 256GB and .3GHz, but unfortunately if you need it you need it. The % loss on resale value will be significantly greater on the higher models.

9. HighEndMac macrumors regular

I see this question a lot, especially between the 2.6 & 2.7

Can anyone truly tell me when you would see performance improvements if one was to opt for the 2.7?

It’s not like there is NO difference, right. Apple would not have released it if there wasn’t a point….right:confused:

10. Vic-Viper macrumors regular

The CPU cache on the 2.7gHZ is 8mb instead of 6mb. Not sure where that would come into play other than minor differences in high bandwidth content manipulation (video editing). Even then, the difference would be placebic (tm) at best.

11. fredaroony macrumors 6502a

A real world example:

Handbrake video conversion to MP4 for iPad

Macbook Air C2D 2.13Ghz 45min
    rMBP 2.3Ghz 14min

Even the 2.3Ghz model flies..

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

That's what I did. It was slightly for the CPU boost but mainly for the extra storage.