rMBP 2012 15" > New MacBook pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sahil11, Nov 6, 2016.

1. sahil11 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing one of the new MacBook pros, specifically the 13" model with the 2.9GHz processor. My current MacBook is a Retina 2012 model 2.3Ghz + Nvidia 650m graphics.

Would anyone know if the new 13" model is particularly more powerful than my current laptop, or should I wait it out another year or two?

2. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

Quad Core > Dual Core everytime
    Ow and bigger screen :)

3. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

I'm keeping my 2012 retina 15" - even though I planned to buy the new MBP 15" - but the price was just too much to justify.

Upgrading the ssd from 256gb to 1tb and upgrade from yosemite to sierra. Will feel like new. :D

4. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

depends on tasks whether or not you would benefit from either though, keep in mind

the 2012 rMBP in hindsight seems like the best first gen product ever, longevity.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's not more powerful than your current laptop. In fact it's less powerful. The 13 and 15" models use different classes of hardware.

Your main concern should be wear and tear. If your battery is nearing end of life, that can be a $200 service. If it succumbs to graphical problems, there's a repair program through December of this year. Otherwise you would probably pay the flat rate of $350 for depot repair. Before anyone asks, retail for logic board replacement is higher. If it doesn't have any signs of user damage, you can get flat rate depot repair.

6. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I'm trying to understand the $350 charge for depot repair

is this an out of warranty machine, independent of having had AppleCare or not, for any repair needed that isn't physical damage and is just parts failing?

I've heard of the flat fee, but still confused by it, and never needed to use it before,

thanks

7. zemaker macrumors regular

You are going from a MacBook Pro, to something that is not really MacBook Pro but instead really a MacBook. Apple really messed up with their naming convention this time around, and I do believe it to be misleading.

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yes, out of warranty with no regard for Applecare assuming no signs of user damage such as impact, liquid damage, etc., which can result in denial under Applecare anyway, 90 day warranty on repairs. I have used it before. They just replace anything that's failing. In my case they replaced a bottom case where a foot had fallen off as well. The only issue I encountered was that the refurbished logic board didn't hold up. This was on a 2011 17" macbook pro. Of course there's no way to avoid refurbished parts on older models.

9. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Yep. Apple needs to go back to having a very distinct pro line and consumer line. Yes some non-pro consumers (like me) are willing to buy pro products but the line doesn't need to blurred in response to that.

10. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

lets say my screen and logic board both just failed out of left field, out of warranty, would I pay $350 flat fee for both things to get repaired in one appointment set up?

hypothetically,

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yeah that has been my experience. Flat rate is flat rate. I. You pay the itemized cost of repairs if done in the shop. If they send it out for depot repair, you pay a flat fee and they fix anything that is not operational. If it has any kind of water damage or anything like that, the above no longer applies. If your machine is a couple years old, most of the available parts are likely to be refurbished ones. It's not like it's a massive loss leader for Apple.

The likelihood of your display and logic board going out at the same time is very low. If the average cost of doing these repairs was really high, they probably wouldn't do this.

12. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Gotcha well that's good to know for peace of mind !

My 12" rMb is out of warranty never bought AppleCare. Has Amex extended warranty until spring next year. And this 13" I bought off Craigslist has AppleCare until mid July.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I actually had Applecare. They aren't making anymore 17" models, so I tried to hang onto the one I already owned. I do a lot of stuff where screen space is very helpful (write code, draw, use photoshop, previously maya and now just blender for personal stuff). Applecare had expired in this case. I was offered the same thing in another case, which never had Applecare. That was a G4 powerbook in 2004 or so. That one never had Applecare.

In any case Applecare can be invalidated by user damage. While some people have reported exceptions where Apple fixed their machine anyway, I wouldn't count on that.

14. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I dont plan on damaging either of my machines :D

way easier bullet to dodge, vs phone thats handled in your hand all the time