[rMBP 2012] Hard Reset Often after Mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AquaBear, Nov 14, 2013.

1. AquaBear, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

AquaBear macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I've owned my 2012-model rMBP (2.6/8GB/512) for almost a year now, and I haven't run into any problems until recently.

Quite spontaneously after I upgraded to Mavericks, I've begun to notice it freezing up completely and needing a hard reset (power button) to restore functionality. I generally run Safari, Chrome (flash rarely), and Word all the time, with iPhoto/iTunes/Powerpoint/other apps as needed.

There's nothing that specifically triggers the issue - it just seems to freeze up leaving the keyboard/trackpad and my external keyboard/mouse completely unresponsive. In addition, if I try to close the lid, the light doesn't go off meaning it's definitely a system issue..

I never imagined I'd have to deal with this type of issue with my rMBP, but any help as to how to troubleshoot this would be most appreciated!

EDIT: Here's a Console output right after it crashed (11/14/13 at 11:22:55 PM):
    http://pastebin.com/kj2RU5Pj

2. zizanio, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

zizanio macrumors newbie

zizanio

I had the same problem with my same-gen rMBP

(Although I haven't seen this WindowServer port death stuff in my logs. My logs contained nothing useful at all, it was amazing.) I was having to hard-reset multiple times a day after Mavericks. I suspected Chrome when I checked the version number and noticed it hadn't been able to autoupdate since the Mavericks upgrade. Upgraded Chrome the old fashioned way, kept getting the hard lockups. Then I bought this buggy app that I thought could leverage OpenCL to run faster on my dedicated GPU, and it seemed like it wasn't making any difference to it, so I installed gfxCardStatus to see if the Mac was even using my discrete GPU.

I noticed that Chrome frequently forces the GPU switch between integrated and discrete, like more than once a minute sometimes depending on how demandingly I'm switching tabs. I decided to try running on the discrete GPU only. That was two weeks ago. My Mac no longer crashes, so I think it was from excessive GPU switching. Until I hear of a fix from Apple or Google, I'm sticking to GPU only.

3. AquaBear thread starter macrumors newbie

Which version of Chrome do you use? I run the dev channel of Chrome (currently 33.0.1707.0 dev) and based on gfxcardstatus it's always pretty stably on the integrated card unless I use flash heavy content.

But yeah this WindowServer nonsense seems worrying - I'm going to probably bring it into an Apple Store over Thanksgiving...

4. zizanio macrumors newbie

zizanio

5. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

6. AquaBear, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

AquaBear thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that link - I don't use the google drive application though (as in, I don't have it installed)

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

This is exactly my issue too. It's really annoying me. I work on my Mbpr and I have to reset every hour from lock ups.

8. skirmisser macrumors member

I had the exact same issue when I first installed 10.9 on my 2012 15" rMBP. I got two freezes (unresponsive had to reset) in 3 days.

I then reset both SMC and NVRAM/PRAM.

As of today I have an uptime of 20 days. Resetting SMC and NVRAM/PRAM did wonders for me :).

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Tried that. Just locked up after a couple hours.

10. AquaBear thread starter macrumors newbie

It seemed to have been resolved spontaneously for about 5 days, but the problem is back and now it's up to about once every other day.

The only universal way to replicate seems to be to have a lot of Chrome tabs open at once (30+) and clicking on a random one. No rhyme or reason, but it just freezes instantly.

I tried running only Safari, but I'd encounter the same issue

11. walkie, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

walkie macrumors 6502

I have the same exact problem upon Mavericks install on my early 2013 15" rMBP, it happens to me when using Safari, the pointer and the keyboard suddenly freez and I have to hard-reset it, I will reset SMC and NVRAM/PRAM and see how it goes...