rMBP (2012) screen issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xprofils, Aug 24, 2014.

1. xprofils macrumors newbie

I currently own mid-2012 15'' rMBP. I also have apple care, valid till September 2014. The screen is an LG screen, which has been recently replaced due to ghosting.

The problem right now is that today, while cleaning the screen, I noticed an "uncleanable" part right in the middle of screen. It looks like that in that part the screen has somehow got scratched or burnt. While cleaning, I was using a special cleaning liquid and a microfiber cloth.

The "scratch" is best seen when the screen is dimmed or when the brightness is set to maximum. While the scratch itself does not distract a lot, I have noticed two or three black spots within it, possibly dead pixels.

The question is whether or not Apple care would cover the repairs of such screen and what are the possibilities of repairing it myself?

I have added links to pictures for you to better understand the issue. If you would like to see it in better quality, please tell.
    http://1drv.ms/1rtTRwq - maximum brightness
    http://1drv.ms/VNdEIm - maximum brightness 2
    http://1drv.ms/1rtTRwq - dimmed display

2. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Odd, by it's shape it really does look like some kind of splatter, but because you say you cannot get it to come off I suspect your anti-glare coating is coming off or has been worn away.

First, take it to apple and see what happens. If they will not fix it then all I can recommend is a screen protector in the hops of masking the issue somewhat.

3. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

It looks like some sort of adhesive residue to me, but as @x3n0n1c said, if it won't come off after cleaning it then the oleophobic coating could've worn off. My recommendation is the same: Visit the Apple Store pronto!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think I saw a couple threads a few months ago about people with the Late 2013 machines that had this issue. Same scenario where they were cleaning the screen and the coating on the screen came off.

Looks like a visit to the store is in order for you. You should replace the screen for you (especially since you have AppleCare).

Anyways I have an antiglare screen protector. That's something to consider too.

5. xprofils thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the replies.
    I took the Macbook to an Apple service, and they replaced the screen in a weeks time. They told me that it was quite possible that the damage was from the screen being pushed too hard against keyboard (when closed).
    While I am not an expert in this field, I am quite unsure whether it was caused by that, as the damage was only on the antiglare level of screen.
    What do you guys think?

6. rimntwitne macrumors newbie

saw a couple threads a few months ago about people with the Late 2013 machines that had this issue. Same scenario where they were cleaning the screen and the coating on the screen came off.[​IMG]