rMBP 2013 firmware update 2.0?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by user1234, Mar 9, 2013.

1. user1234 macrumors regular

Hey!

First of all I did search the forums, and didn't find this mentioned anywhere.

I got the 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15" 4 days ago, and I now got the MacBook Air- and MacBook Pro-update 2.0 showing up as a software update. According to Apples support site, this update was released i november 2012 and is "recommended for all Mac notebooks introduced in June 2012.".

I thought that my 2013 retina would already be running the lastest firmware.

People seem to have had problems with firmware updates for Retina MBPs in the past, and I would like to know if it is now considered safe to install the 2.0 update?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't recall when I updated my rMBP but I'm current and to be honest I've not noticed any problems in stability or performance. My rMBP is rocking like it always has :D

3. br3nt macrumors member

what firmware are you running right now?
    About this mac --> more info --> system report: Hardware
    Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02

that's mine with all the latest updates ( noticing the SMC reset bug )

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

When I did that firmware update it went smooth as silk. :)

5. user1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good. I'm going to install it now and see how it goes.

Boot ROM-version: MBP101.00EE.B03
    I'll add in the SMC-version too for future reference.
    SMC-version (system): 2.3f32

I have the SanDisk fan speed bug, which I'm not a fan of (pun intended), but as far as I am informed that bug is yet to be solved. Good thing it's easy to get around.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Try UltraFan is should help calm the fans down until Apple get a fix out, as it overrides Apple`a cooling algorithm. It`s just an app, runs no daemons, nor does it alter SMC in any shape or form

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1214206

7. user1234 thread starter macrumors regular

I have now installed the update, and nothing has changed. Still the same Boot ROM and SMC version. Interesting.

Yeah, that's what I'm using. It's a good app :)

8. br3nt macrumors member

Very interesting that the info didn't change... :confused:
    guess unless you don't try to game in windows we won't know if you will see the down-clocking / dropped frames

hope you don't experience it! :)

9. user1234 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it's very interesting. I haven't noticed any differences at all yet. Nothing has broken, and nothing has changed.

I have no intention to install windows and game, so I guess we won't know.

Everything is working smoothly for the moment though (except for the fan speed issue), and I tried running X-Plane for half an hour without any issues. I guess it's possible that the update didn't change anything since all the numbers are the same.

10. alan7467 macrumors member

Based on that ROM-version it looks like the 2013 15" rMBP has a newer EFI than the 2012's. Perhaps it won't have the dreaded SMC bug at all.

11. user1234 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know if it's just me, or if the fans have been behaving better since I installed the update. Only 2 or 3 full speed runs that I found no valid reason for since then.