rMBP 2013 - Max Specs - Why not pickup in store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pandacea, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Pandacea macrumors newbie

I was shocked yesterday when I walked into the apple store and they said they had the rMBP with max specs in stock. I thought he was lying because apple only sends their stores the base model.

Many people are writing about how they are still waiting for the rMBP to arrive. I thought I would mention that you might be able to go to your local apple store.

I now have a decked out 15inch 2013 rMBP that I never thought I would have unless I ordered online. Has anyone else had the same luck of walking into the apple store and getting one?

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    1TB PCIe-based flash storage 1
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
    with 2GB GDDR5 memory

I still own my 2011 17inch MBP with max specs and I can already see that the newest notebook is much faster. I'm very impressed and I have not experience any software/hardware issues thus far.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most apple stores do not carry the max configuration. People are waiting because ordering online was the only option for the configuration.

Its great you could walk in, but I did the same, and they said no, only online so your experience is not typical.

3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I walked in and was told "no" and to order online... so I left
    I returned about 2 hours later to pick up the base model and talked to a different employee
    By chance I mentioned I really wanted the maxed version and lo and behold, he went in the back and produced one

Employees are not always completely informed of everything
    When in doubt, ask them to check and recheck, and even talk to someone else

I walked out with the maxed version 2.6/16GB/1TB and was thrilled

4. griefrev macrumors member

I noticed that the mall where our Apple Store is found was busting at the seams on Saturday, so I dropped by an Authorized Reseller (it was nearer my house anyway) and found that the configuration that I wanted (13"/ 8g /512g) was in stock. Took it home right then and there.

5. Pandacea thread starter macrumors newbie

Not all apple employees are informed

When I talked to apple's customer service number, they say that you need to order online. However, by speaking with apple employees within the apple store, they had a different story. I'm so happy that they had this in stock because it was set in my mind that I was only going to be able to get the highest base model available.

Before ordering online, I would definitely recommend contacting your local store and asking them to thoroughly check their inventory. You might just be in luck.

I hope this helps:)

6. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

This may be of more interest to people in the Notebook section of the forums.

7. mdorais macrumors member

Doesn't the online Apple Store tell you if your local store has any in stock so that you know before going in?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It can't hurt but as I mentioned, I already did that (when I was in the market for a MBP). I was told I had to order that online.

Its possible that you were able to get one, because someone cancelled an order after it was delivered to the store for pickup, or just they received a shipment of max configured MBPs. Either way, your experience was not typical. I'm glad you got something you wanted and didn't have to wait - congrats :)

9. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

It definitely varies from store to store
    My store is Lenox in ATL and I was told by this employee they usually get a few of the maxed versions
    He had sold another one earlier in the day which is why he knew immediately he had it in stock

FWIW I was able to get the maxed version of the 17" MBP back in the day at the same store, which is why I thought they might have it this time too

10. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

The store I go to in UT always seems to have max versions of every machine in stock. Air, MBP, that's even how I ended up with the maxed out 2010 17" rMBP. Couldn't find a way to rationalize the price of the 1TB SSD this year but it was seriously tempting.

Basically the only way to know for sure is to go in and ask. It definitely seems to a store-by-store decision.

11. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Wish I had the option to walk into a store and just pick one up. But I live in Switzerland and Swiss keyboards are so awkward I cannot adjust to them. So even if the shop had a maxed out machine it would have that abortion of a keyboard on it.

No choice but ordering one online with a US keyboard.

12. fs454 macrumors 68000

From my experience, they usually have a few "every option ticked" BTO models in stock in all cities - I remember when the late 2010 MacBook Airs came out (the first 11" models), I and many others went for the "Ultimate" config which included a bump in CPU speed for the Core 2 Duo, more RAM, and a bigger SSD. I had to call around to verify stock, but I found a store with the all-options-ticked model in stock within the first couple calls.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

I bought a maxed-out MBA 13" just a month ago - it was in stock at the store.

14. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

sadly no luck for us guys with no apple stores here. The only top end version here is the 512gb storage one. No BTO options.

15. aarontoledo macrumors newbie

I was able to to pick up a max 15" rMBP in store. I actually built it out online and then used the online system to check nearby inventory. As expected, the system told me it could be shipped to a store but it was not available for pick up...I didn't like that answer :D

I decided to just call the closest store and asked if they had any in stock and the person said YES! However, when I got to the store, none of the people on the floor said they had any or that they carried any builds that weren't listed on the on the iPads next to the machines. So, I got on the phone and called that same store with a sales rep standing next to me...and confirmed it again. She then placed an order with that person and they brought out my machine.

Right after that, I saw the sales people on the floor have a quick little huddle and they spread the news that they had some custom builds in the back and needed to spread the info to the others.

16. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

This is a little off topic, but what? 2010 17" rMBP? Did you mean 2010 17" MBP? Because the rMBP was introduced in 2012, and the biggest size was 15". Sorry, that was bugging me.

17. hogprint macrumors regular

hogprint

Ha, just checked my local store. Jumping in the car now, cancelled the order I placed this morning. Picking up today. :)

18. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

This was a secret. LOL

I mentioned this on another thread as i have done this with my last laptop. Go in and buy the max config. Its not listed online as in stock but Apple keeps them for customers that come in and not exactly what they want so Apple can upsell them.

Now stop telling the world as i have yet to get mine. LOL

----------

You need them to look at their damn whats in stock hand devices. Otherwise they have no clue

19. ano0oj macrumors 6502

who said apple wouldn't have them in store? They typically always carry their max configs.

20. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Yeah, sorry, I've typed rMBP so many times in the past couple months it's become some kind of muscle memory thing.