Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I'm thinking about getting the top-end 13" rMBP mid-2014. Would you guys think it's worth it to get the 3.0 i7 processor over the 2.8 i5 being offered as the default option? Is there a substantial difference, especially that it's an i7 vs. an i5?

Also, would you recommend going for the 1TB SSD over the 512GB? I'm wincing over the $500 upsell. Currently, I use about 200GB of space on my laptop, but of course, times change as technology becomes more advanced.

My current laptop is a MBP late 2011, with 2.8 i7 (Sandy Bridge) and a 750gb hard drive.

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You don't define any how you'll use it, so its difficult to say what will fit your needs better.

All in all, most people won't notice the faster processor, so I say that its not worth the cost, though your YMMV

As for the storage, if you think you need more then 512GB, then get the 1TB. I'm quite happy with a 256GB SSD, but then my usage patterns are different then yours.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
You don't define any how you'll use it, so its difficult to say what will fit your needs better.

All in all, most people won't notice the faster processor, so I say that its not worth the cost, though your YMMV

As for the storage, if you think you need more then 512GB, then get the 1TB. I'm quite happy with a 256GB SSD, but then my usage patterns are different then yours.

I use my laptop mostly for DVDs/streaming, photo organization (not a professional photographer, just my own memories), Word documents, and Internet browsing. Light gaming on the side. Pretty basic user, although I'm an advanced user too, if that makes any sense.

Does this help you more?

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
The difference between the mobile i5 and i7 is so minimal that I have never seen a point to getting the bigger version unless it carries more cores. Unless you like benchmarks or can't stand waiting that extra 1-2 seconds for a big task, just get the base CPU and max the RAM.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
The difference between the mobile i5 and i7 is so minimal that I have never seen a point to getting the bigger version unless it carries more cores. Unless you like benchmarks or can't stand waiting that extra 1-2 seconds for a big task, just get the base CPU and max the RAM.

Really? But it's an i7 vs. an i5. Doesn't that make quite a substantial difference?

Also, would you think upgrading to the rMBP 2014 be worth it after having a MBP 2011, or best to wait until 2015?

Last edited:

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Really? But it's an i7 vs. an i5. Doesn't that make quite a substantial difference?

Also, would you think upgrading to the rMBP 2014 be worth it after having a MBP 2011, or best to wait until 2015?

Go look at the benchmarks and look at what the percentage will actually do. Yes, technically they're faster. Will you actually notice in the day to day without side by side comparing them? Extremely doubtful.

The rMBP is about resolution. If you want to see more on a small screen, it's the way to go. Its also quite light.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

The difference isn't substantial because the 13" uses a dual core i7. If it was a quad core i7 found in a 15", then the difference would be massive.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The difference isn't substantial because the 13" uses a dual core i7. If it was a quad core i7 found in a 15", then the difference would be massive.
Provided you are using apps that utilize 8 threads ...

If someone is about to get a top end 13". I'd recommend thinkting twice about jumping to the 15".
The OP obviously does not need a maxed out 13" either.

----------

I use my laptop mostly for DVDs/streaming, photo organization (not a professional photographer, just my own memories), Word documents, and Internet browsing. Light gaming on the side. Pretty basic user, although I'm an advanced user too, if that makes any sense.
You have the most basic needs.
I'd recommend the 2.4/8/256 from 2013 refurb. It's the best bang for the buck.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA

So are you saying that there isn't a big difference between the dual core i5 and i7 processors, despite the i5 to i7 designation?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thats exactly what he's saying

So are you saying that there isn't a big difference between the dual core i5 and i7 processors, despite the i5 to i7 designation?

The only diiferences are a slight bump in speed and a slight bump in cache size that is it, maybe 5-7% performance difference on benchmarks, practically nothing in real use.

More importantly you mentioned playing DVDs but I'll just point out that it doesn't have an optical drive so if this is a requirement for you then you'll either need an external drive or have to go with a PC.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
The only diiferences are a slight bump in speed and a slight bump in cache size that is it, maybe 5-7% performance difference on benchmarks, practically nothing in real use.

More importantly you mentioned playing DVDs but I'll just point out that it doesn't have an optical drive so if this is a requirement for you then you'll either need an external drive or have to go with a PC.

Thank you. I'm aware there's no optical DVD, I'll make do with streaming and an external DVD drive.

I saw online that an i7 would give better performance due to hyperthreading. One thing I forgot to mention: I do virtual drives every now and then.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Yes.

When both are dual core, the designation between i5 to i7 doesn't mean anything.

----------

Thank you. I'm aware there's no optical DVD, I'll make do with streaming and an external DVD drive.

I saw online that an i7 would give better performance due to hyperthreading. One thing I forgot to mention: I do virtual drives every now and then.

Dual core i5s have HT too. Only quad core i5s do not.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

You'll not really see a huge benefit from the i7 over the i5, as mentioned both use hyperthreading. Save yourself some money and go for the i5

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
In terms of storage I always think "How much storage do I need with me at all times?"

If you have data that's only used at home, that $500 upgrade to 1 TB would buy you 10-15 TB using external drives.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
You'll not really see a huge benefit from the i7 over the i5, as mentioned both use hyperthreading. Save yourself some money and go for the i5

I'm seeing the October 2013 rMBP's for a really good refurb price (yes, including i7). My question is, did the Iris graphics change at all between Oct 2013 and mid-2014, or is it exactly the same?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
2013 model exactly the same

Apart from a 200mHz speed bump to the processor (and a £100 price drop the) the 2014 and 2013 are exactly the same, certainly go for one of those or a refurb and save some money

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I found a really good deal, a late 2013 (October) rMBP 13" with an i7 processor, 8gb of RAM, and a 512gb SSD. It's refurbished, and only $1599. If I had gone with the current top-end option for the current 13" and changed to the i7 processor, I'd have paid $1999 ($1879 if with a student discount). Either way, still a $300/$400 saving, and literally the ONLY difference would be the processor, with a slight bump (2.8ghz vs. 3.0ghz with the current model - not substantial at all). Otherwise, both the late-2013 and mid-2014 models are exactly the same.

I think it's a sweet deal - I don't mind getting a refurb, because Apple's known for their quality control with refurbished products, and once I add AppleCare, I'll be all set for 3 years. I just hope I like the retina - it'll be a big change from my current late-2011 MBP, especially without an optical drive.

What do y'all think?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I found a really good deal, a late 2013 (October) rMBP 13" with an i7 processor, 8gb of RAM, and a 512gb SSD. It's refurbished, and only $1599. If I had gone with the current top-end option for the current 13" and changed to the i7 processor, I'd have paid $1999 ($1879 if with a student discount). Either way, still a $300/$400 saving, and literally the ONLY difference would be the processor, with a slight bump (2.8ghz vs. 3.0ghz with the current model - not substantial at all). Otherwise, both the late-2013 and mid-2014 models are exactly the same.

I think it's a sweet deal - I don't mind getting a refurb, because Apple's known for their quality control with refurbished products, and once I add AppleCare, I'll be all set for 3 years. I just hope I like the retina - it'll be a big change from my current late-2011 MBP, especially without an optical drive.

What do y'all think?

Go for it I have that machine with the i5 and it is awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.