rmbp 2014 nvidia card battery gfxcardstatus

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paristexas, Apr 22, 2015.

1. paristexas macrumors newbie

hi,
    another newbie question, i do make search before posting and collect information but posting i find always good to clear any doubts, as many new mac users i bet battery and questions on the fan are the first to come, this time i just want to check if im using gfxcardstatus right, if its an app that do exactly what i want, and what i want is.. when start using this app i saw a few sites switch to the nvidia card, also saw that a few apps that im using do this too even if graphics is not their main "goal", so reading about gfxcardstatus i thought i could choose the integrated card mode to this apps (browser and some other non related graphic apps) not to use nvidia card so battery will last longer, and im not choosing this in systems preferences because the other users of my computer need the nvidia card for their cad apps . So everytime i log to my account (when on battery mode)i choose integrated card mode in gfxcardstatus. Am i making any sense or theres a way to prevent some apps to use nvidia and i don´t need this workaround that im using ?and this choosing the card in gfxcardstatus everytime i on battery mode , there´s no problem?
    thanks.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Use paragraphs and proper punctuation next time if you can. That post is damn near impossible to read. I stopped not even halfway through.

There is a known bug in gfxcardstatus (I do not know whether this has been fixed or not) where one would have to select integrated from it twice before it actually registers.

Having never used the app, I'm not sure if you can set it up on a per-app basis. Someone with more experience will probably chime in.

3. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

If you are using GFXCardStatus, you will need to switch to whatever mode you are wanting to use before you load any applications. Currently you are using one of the only available methods to do this besides messing around with plists of each application. If you are using "Integrated Only" when on battery, that should not cause any issues. I hope this answers your question.

4. paristexas thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, thanks a lot (and sorry for the writing style :) :eek: )

5. paristexas thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, i just notice when i choose (2 times click) integrated card on gfxCardSatus, then go to mac systems preferences, energy options and i see 2 options: "more battery " and "best performace" and this last (best performance) is enabled, shouln´t be the other way around? (before clicking integrated card on gfxcardstatus mac was set to automatic select the card)
    thanks.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's a bug that can be safely ignored.

7. paristexas thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you.