rMBP 2014 or wait for rMBP 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pullapooh, Aug 6, 2014.

  1. pullapooh macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2014

    I was wondering should i buy the just released Retina Macbook pro or wait for the 2015 release with the new Intel broadwell processors in it?

    I was thinking of buying the top of the line rMBP 15" whit discrete graphics.

    I can afford only to buy a new Macbook once 3-4 years.

    What should i do? wait or buy the 2014 model? :confused:
  2. Neykon macrumors member

    Apr 11, 2009
    You could consider what I did since I needed a new laptop for my bachelor which starts this month: I went ahead and bought the older generation Retina, 15" (which was the newest one until a week ago) and saved A LOT compared to the newest generation.

    The update Apple gave the Retina last week is basically this - the new base model got i7 2.2GHz compared to i7 2.0GHz - essentially the exact same processor with added 200MHz. OBS, we're not in the 90s anymore. 200MHz is NOT a difference you in will notice in the world. The GPU is as well the exact same (Intel Iris Pro GPU 1024MB). Also they gave it 16GB of RAM instead of 8GB. Now, I don't know about you, but I create electronical music and edit photography as well besides my studies, and I've never needed more than 8GB - if I really did, I reconsidered what I had running and closed some applications.

    TL;DR Buy the former generation which outdated last week - you'll save a lot and won't feel any difference compared to the new base, 15" Retina.
  3. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    If you can wait, then wait, its going to be a long time though. I'd say buy now and enjoy the computer now.

    I mean are you willing to wait until 2Q 2015?
  4. pullapooh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2014
    I'm not sure can i wait.

    I'm not sure the new processors are really interesting. If there will be a 25% boost in computing i will definitely wait (25% just threw that number) I have no idea how much faster 2015 rMBP will be.
  5. Neykon macrumors member

    Apr 11, 2009
    The thing is, I know the feeling you have, but you just got to realize that Apple (as well every other company) constantly will develop their products, so you'll only have the latest gadget for a certain amount of time. At one point you'll eventually need to purchase something.

    Reason I suggested the former generation is that it has the specs to be revelant to do most things years to come AND you'll save a fair share. My first MacBook Pro was the late-2007 high-end model which I bought for a ridiculous amount which I kind of regret today seeing how quickly it became outdated.
  6. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

    Feb 8, 2006
    It won't be 25%.
  7. pullapooh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2014
    Will find out how much cheaper the former generation is

    I will look into this i mean i will go to a Mac reseller here in Finland and ask how much cheaper former generation is. :)

    If we are only talking about 200€ (267$) or less? is it still worth getting the former generation? what would you say the bottom line would be? Or is every penny worth it? :) I mean the Computing / Savings margin.
  8. nostresshere, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

    nostresshere macrumors 68030

    Dec 30, 2010
    I would strongly suggest scrolling down through posts from the past week. This same question has been asked many times, with lots of good advice given.

    Nobody here can really answer you question anyways without a bit more information like:

    what do you have now
    how well or not well does your current setup work
    what do you do with a your mac
    what do you want to do

    Yea, people will give their two cents worth, but one must judge that information based on what they are using as a baseline.
  9. Neykon macrumors member

    Apr 11, 2009
    In Danish kroner - I paid 12999DKK (€1743) for the older generation while the new generation is 15399 (€2065) which is a saving of about €322.

    The question comes down to here - would you pay €322 to get +200MHz and +8GB of RAM?

    For me, the answer was cleary a no - thus, I bought the "old" generation (I don't like calling it old since it's essentially the same machine).
  10. pullapooh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 6, 2014
    My computer and how i use it.

    My current setup works but it has starting lagging badly. I have a (MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011 whit 8GB of memory)).

    I mainly do graphic design and coding and some times 3d work. I would like to play some games also but my current mac does not run games well.

    I am planning to buy also a new monitor (Apple's Thunderbolt Display).
  11. socheat macrumors newbie

    Mar 22, 2010
    New Tech will come again, so you have to wait forever.
    Buy if you need.
  12. bigjnyc macrumors 603


    Apr 10, 2008
    I was on the fence about this as well and decided to wait for broadwell. I know it will be a long wait but my 2009 C2D 15" still gets the job done, granted with some lag and annoyingly short battery life but I can live with it. I don't depend on my laptop for school or work, and quite frankly with an iPhone and an iPad Air around my use of it has decreased dramatically. So for me it's an easy decision to wait.

Share This Page