Rmbp 2014 runs warm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Roadking714, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Roadking714 macrumors regular

I had both models 2014 15 rmbp, I notice when running both in clamshell mode the model with the nvidia chip runs a little warmer when downloading and surfing the web could it be the chip? I notice it says iris pro when hdmi monitor is not in use and automatically changes to nvidia when using hdmi any body have feedback on this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's normal for Apple notebooks to become warm... even hot... to the touch under heavy workloads. Even surfing can put more load, depending on the website content being displayed. There is no cause for concern, as your Mac would automatically shut down to prevent damage if it ever actually did overheat, which is rare.

3. ano0oj macrumors 6502

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Having an external monitor will force the dGPU to be active; this is because models with the dGPU do not have the iGPU physically connected to the TB/mDP and HDMI ports.

And having the lid closed means heat cannot radiate out from the keyboard area.

Mine is normally around 49-60ºC when in clamshell mode.

5. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

What I was trying to say is the base model didn't get as warm as the model with the nvidia chip both were doing the same task nothing heavy

----------

Is that safe and is there a way to have only iris pro instead of nvidia when running a external monitor or running nvidia is fine?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's safe and perfectly fine to run NVIDIA. You can relax and enjoy your Mac.

7. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok cool thank you

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's perfectly safe. A search of the forums would've brought up thousands of threads on the subject of heat.

Since the integrated card is not physically connected to the external ports, there is no way to force the integrated card when running an external display.