rMBP (2014) touchpad not "clicking" at login

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by copydeskcat, Jun 21, 2017.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I have a 2014 rMBP. It a great machine. I use it as a PC-style terminal - connected to a monitor, USB mouse and Bluetooth keyboard. It works a treat.

However, when I reboot, the touchpad allows me to move around the cursor, but will not respond to taps. I have to left-click on the USB mouse to login. When I'm logged in, the touchpad then responds to taps of any kind, left-click, swipes, right-click etc.

Anyone got any idea what would be causing this?

Best,

CDC

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

It's being caused by the fact that the options to 'tap to click' and so-forth are user settings. Which are not loaded before you log in.

3. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Really?

How are you supposed to click on the appropriate login icon then?

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

You click it? Clicking and tapping are different functions. You said it was affecting 'tap' which is a user customisation.

5. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Well, there is no actual "click" function on the rMBP 2014. It's not a clickable trackpad.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017 ---
    Ah! I've just realised mine does click!

I've never actually used it. Hahaha

Thanks.

6. DeltaMac, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Settings are not loaded at that point, so you would simply press down on the pad. There will not be a "click", as the pad has no mechanical switch that does that. But, the click does happen, even though you don't feel the click.
    All completely normal, on a force touch pad anyway.

7. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. It's a bit weird. Shouldn't it feel more like an actual physical click?

8. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

You never knew you could click the trackpad? You realise you would of had to turn on 'tap to click' in the settings, and would of had to click that to enable.

It's a haptic feedback device, it doesn't physically move but vibrates giving the sensation of a click. Press around on it, then turn it off and press around. Then you'll see.

9. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

No. I don't think the late 2014 rMBP is haptic.

10. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Yes you're right it's early 2015. Feels so ancient not to have it at this stage I forget! :(

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Correct. Force Touch, "haptic" response, did not appear until the 2015 MBPro.
    Your 2014 would have a full-pad click, as the entire pad is hinged. The click is somewhat less pronounced than, maybe, the previous generation, that had a dedicated "click" area.
    I think it is possible that the edge of your trackpad may have a build-up of "crud", that might inhibit the movement to click, when you are applying pressure to random areas of the trackpad surface, so does not move as freely from pressure on all areas of the surface. There's methods to clean the trackpad edges using paper strips to "urge" any dirt out from under the edges. Might be worth trying in your situation.

12. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

So....

Took the rMBP in to Apple. Turns out the battery had expanded - the base of the rMBP chassis was bevelled out and was putting pressure on the trackpad. Amazing that I had never used the trackpad in the whole time I've had it (certainly not that I can think of).

The Genius chappie said it was a quality issue and Apple repaired it for free (thereby saving me £405 + VAT). I got a whole new under chassis, battery and top panel/keyboard.

I've now been an Apple man since iPhone 3 and a Mac man since 2012 - and I have never once had a bad customer service experience. First Class.