Rmbp 2014 yellowish

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Roadking714, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Roadking714 macrumors regular

Just bought a new rMBP 15 2014 and I notice a yellow tint is this normal? And can I fix it or should I return it

2. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

Calibrate the color not as bad as it was should I return it?

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

If you aren't happy return.

Not much more to say only you can decide if the machine is good for you, a little warmth in my screen doesn't bother me at all but others hate

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yellow tint tends to be due to the panel type or manufacturer. If you're not happy with it, then return it. I don't know if anyone can tell you what to do other then point out that its not defective. Its up to you on whether this bugs you enough to exchange the model.

5. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll give it a few days and see if I end up keeping it problem is the store is about 45 minutes away... Thanks for the reply guys

6. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

I'm using a 2012 MBP unibody and my partner bought a 2013 Retina 13 inch last year.

Immediately noticed the yellowy-glaze over everything, like everything had been sun-baked. Calibrated the whites in settings and it looks a lot better, but still not as colour accurate as my unibody's screen.

It's up to you whether you want to return it, I actually prefer my screen to my partner's despite the lower resolution purely because of the colour accuracy is much nicer.

7. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

So this doesn't lead to any problems in the future.. Screen going out or any thing like that?

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Doesn't seem to...

It seems to be just a difference in the panels used and they are all slightly different.

9. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

I read on here someone had a lg screen that they enjoyed. Not sure how to determine that on mine

10. paulopadopa macrumors regular

Normally if you get a warm fuzzy feeling like in your belly. That would mean you're enjoying it.

If you get a frowny face then you probably are not enjoying it.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

To be honest make has little to do with it.

As far as I can tell the manufacturer has little to do with it. LG were far more prone to image retention in the beginning but the colour seems to be screen by screen.

12. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I have had three mid 2014 base model 15" rMBP's. First one had the A019 screen (supposedly LG) which was perfect. The second one had an A022 screen (supposedly Samsung) and was horrible. It was yellow on the left hand side of the screen and cooler on the right. It also had a noticable pink glow to the Apple logo. Calibrating did not help as it was uneven.

However I unboxed the third one today and its a keeper. It has a nice uniform screen and I would consider the white point as neutral to slightly warm. It has the same white point as my iPad Air.

This one is another A022 screen so you cannot simply determine which is better by A019 versus A022.

My advice is if the white point is uniform then keep it and calibrate it to your liking. If it is uneven (warm on one side for example) then return it and get a replacement until you are happy.

13. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I go about finding what screen I have or maker?

14. LMD75 macrumors 6502

If you have the base model without dedicated GPU then try this:

System Preferences > Displays > Color > Open Profile > Scroll down and click on 'mmod'

Model:

0000A019 LG
    0000A022 Samsung

If you have Nvidia dedicated graphics then you can 100% check via a terminal command:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO0CgjQzhz4

Let us know what screen you have. In my experience every mid 2014 rMBP with a perfect white uniform screen I have seen in a store has the 0000A019 model.

15. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is a samsung screen starts with LSN.. Is lg better?

16. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I have the LG on my late 2013 and it's perfect.:)

17. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I was going to bet that you had a Samsung :)

In my personal experience when looking at the demo models in stores every screen that I have come across that has a perfect screen has the 0000A019 LG screen. The whites are white and completely uniform.

I have had one good Samsung and one bad one and also one good LG screen. However these were the base models so I could not 100% determine if they were actually LG or Samsung.

Is the screen uniform?

18. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

How can I tell if it's uniform? I had two rmbp 2014 from Apple and screens were perfect returned them.. One I have now is from best buy and screen not as perfect

19. LMD75, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015

LMD75 macrumors 6502

Change the wallpaper to a solid white colour and make sure that its is not yellower on one side compared to the other or yellow at the top compared to the bottom.

The demo 0000A019 models that I have seen are perfect and if you do not like yours then just return it. However you will probably have to exchange it multiple times to get an LG. There is no way of telling without powering on the laptop.

This is the reason why I purchase via mail order so I can return it with ease if needed.

The one thing I dislike about Apple is that it is always a lottery on what screen you get. I have also had the same issues with all of my iPhones since the 4S. Had a yellow tinted and dull iPhone 6 so I jailbroke it and readjusted the white point. I simply want the same screen as per their demo models and suspect that they hand pick them.

20. LMD75 macrumors 6502

I will take back what I said. My model with the 0000A022 Samsung panel is inferior to the 0000A019 LG panel as I compared them side by side in the store yesterday.

Also strangely the Apple logo does have a pink glow to it compared to the store model. I suppose if one did not know any difference then it would be ok but as I do know that the LG panel is nicer I will not accept this.

I increased the white point but it then dims the screen and at 2,000 EUR I am not accepting this and am giving up on the 15" model until the next iteration.

So in my experience the latest LG panels are superior.

21. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

I also heard this about LG having problems as well as many said I would like to return mine but also not go through the Hassel of getting more defective ones with other problems... I calibrate my rmbp and now looks alot better

22. LMD75 macrumors 6502

If it looks good when calibrated then keep it. It was the first gen LG screens that had problems with image rention but this issue was fixed in the revised versions.

23. Roadking714 thread starter macrumors regular

So lg was fixed now the problem lies with Samsung screens as well? Or were they fixed also

24. LMD75 macrumors 6502

The original LG screens had great uniformity, white point and contrast but suffered from really bad image retention but this was fixed in version 2. The Samsung screens did not suffer from image retention but had warmer uneven screens. Nothing has really changed with the Samsung screens although some are much worst than others and the LG v2 are the better screens to go for.

My white point is increased to 7000 and it still looks dirty with a yellow cast to it at full brightness.