rMBP 2015 13 inch noises

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jar75454, Apr 15, 2017.

1. jar75454 macrumors newbie

When i use my macbook on my lap for a while, and then pick it up, it seems to always make a strange click noise, almost as if i hit a key on the keyboard. Is this normal? If not are there any ways to remedy this myself? I would prefer not to return it as this is my second one already.

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Where is the noise coming from? It doesn't sound like a problem, apart from how much it might bother you.

3. jar75454 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its coming from the top of the base, nearer to the hinge. Like I said, it kind of sounds like a key being released. it doesn't sound too serious, but my previous rMBP 2015 13" didn't make this noise

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Could be the hinge, then. Hinge noises aren't too unusual. (People used to treat them by working the hinge back and forth, which sometimes actually worked. Don't hear much about that anymore.) Or it could be some other part. The machine flexes a little when you pick it up, which makes parts move relative to each other just a bit. Sometimes that can make a sound.

5. jar75454 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: seems to be coming from right side of the machine after being used in my lap for a while. If you place your finger on a key and lift it w/o pressing on it, that is a near replica of the sound. Anyone else experiencing this?

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Some people are experiencing various level of pops and clicks related to heat expansion and contraction. You can find threads about it here. (Edit: I see you found one already.) Yours seems to be a relatively mild case.