Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SithSurfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2013
Scotland
Hey guys,

I've browsed through tons of topics on the WiFi issue but I'm not sure if these were the same as my one (if they are I apologise for creating another topic).

My rMBP seems to be connected to Airport all the time (it does not reconnect in a sense that it looses the network at any stage) but suddenly no data is being transferred. It fixes itself after couple of minutes or instantly when I toggle WiFi off->on.

I'm running a clean instal of El Capitan. All suggestions appreciated!

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Hey guys,

I've browsed through tons of topics on the WiFi issue but I'm not sure if these were the same as my one (if they are I apologise for creating another topic).

My rMBP seems to be connected to Airport all the time (it does not reconnect in a sense that it looses the network at any stage) but suddenly no data is being transferred. It fixes itself after couple of minutes or instantly when I toggle WiFi off->on.

I'm running a clean instal of El Capitan. All suggestions appreciated!

Story of my life for the past year.

Starting to think it might be the story of my death as well.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Did you ever find a solution?

What is weird for me is that I was also connecting to the same model/firmware Airport Extreme at work and it worked fine. But at home, wifi drops every 10 minutes.

Recently I started wondering if this might be because at work I'm plugged in, but at home I'm on battery.

Do you have the problem on battery? or always?

SithSurfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2013
Scotland
Hey Matt, I've got the same problem regardless of running on battery or on AC. And I've had this with both of my laptops (2011 and brand new 2015) on both previous OS and El Capitan (which I hoped would solve this).

It works without any issues with all other routers at work and on my mates 4TB AirPort (my one's 2TB). I'm wondering if it's something with the latest firmware that might have messed something up? All my other devices (iPhones & iPads) are fine. And of course it's out of warranty now.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Hey Matt, I've got the same problem regardless of running on battery or on AC. And I've had this with both of my laptops (2011 and brand new 2015) on both previous OS and El Capitan (which I hoped would solve this).

It works without any issues with all other routers at work and on my mates 4TB AirPort (my one's 2TB). I'm wondering if it's something with the latest firmware that might have messed something up? All my other devices (iPhones & iPads) are fine. And of course it's out of warranty now.

Same situation for me-- at home, all my other devices work fine (2 iPhones, 3 iPads, Apple TV, and a 2012 MacBook Air).

I previously had this problem on a 12" Retina Macbook. I exchanged that Macbook for my current 2015 rMBP hoping that would solve it but it did not.

I wonder if it's even a problem in the newest wifi chips they might be using in the new rMBP and MB, as my wife's older MBA has no issues.

SithSurfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2013
Scotland
The problem is that it was fine for ages & then started happening on my old 2011 MBP too. I need to look into downgrading the firmware to older version when I'll get back home today. Otherwise I'd need to switch to my old router and connect to Airport TM just for backups but that kinda defeats the purpose...

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I think this is a pretty standard story.. you would have thought it would be tested given its a closed eco system.
Ive never managed to work out why. doesn't matter which one of the mac its is and it also hit the iOS devices too - but not the PC or XBOXs...

If you find something - pls share..

SithSurfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2013
Scotland
I will but the most likely scenario is that this will get sold super soon and I will get a solid router + NAS enclosure for backups. Can't believe that they've cocked this up so badly given the price point of this thing.

I will keep you posted.

SithSurfer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2013
Scotland
Damn, I forgot to update this! I've done a factory reset on the Capsule and it's working fine now. You won't loose any data on the HDD by doing this, it will simply revert everything to factory settings. All my Macs are working smoothly now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.