rMBP 256/8GB w/EDU discount: refurb today, or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dapp, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Dapp macrumors newbie

Wife is going back to college this fall and I'm doing the computer shopping for her. This is the model/specs I'm getting.

Today, buying refurbished with edu discount and counting in the $100 gift card, the oct'13 model comes down to $1270 after tax (CA doesn't have a tax holiday weekend).

If I wait for the refresh, it'll be $1,510 after tax.

Asked her, she genuinely doesn't care which one I get, or when. She can wait/get by on a 4-year old PC we have. MATLAB will be the main app she needs (for now).

Just wondering if the $240 difference is worth it for the latest and greatest in a nice new box, considering we know it won't come with Broadwell.

Is there a chance either 8GB RAM or 256GB SSD are standard for the next refresh? Seems way overdue for both.

I'm going back and forth from undecided, to kind-of leaning to buy refurbished now. Just wanted to read a few opinions either way. Thanks!

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

I would definitely go for the current refurb if I were you. The refurbs look and feel brand new, and come with the full warranty just like a new Mac. I highly doubt the new base model would be 8/256 anyway and if it was, the prices would go up to match the specs.

As fast as the current Macbooks are (PCIe SSD etc) there really is no reason for Apple to bump the base model to 8/256. Apple makes a killing from up selling users thinking they need more power than they actually do (not saying your wife doesn't need at least 8/256, just making a blanket statement).

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

4. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

5. Dapp thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah! I knew the refurbs aren't discounted further but didn't know the $100 gift card doesn't apply :mad:. Thanks for reading the small print for me :)

6. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

You might check Best Buy - they had a $150 edu coupon that you could stack with a 10% off coupon that comes in the movers packet from the post office. I was able to get a brand new one for $1125 plus tax.

7. Mixolyd macrumors member

Mixolyd

I just got a new 2.4/8gb/256 model with EDU discount. I might use the Apple gift card toward Applecare purchase. Anyway, I thought a while about waiting for refresh but honestly this computer is so fast and snappy, I see no need to upgrade unless the next refresh is truly revolutionary. Also, I decided not to get refurb since a new one wasn't that much more expensive and refurb doesn't give you the Apple gift card.