rMBP 3D HDMI Output

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeltaHF, May 9, 2014.

1. DeltaHF macrumors member

I have a 2012 Retina MacBook Pro with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics card, and I want to watch a 3D video (Half-SBS MKV) on my Sony 65HX929 TV using the computer's HDMI output.

I have tried playing the video using VLC and "sView" (a stereoscopic video player), but neither seem to work and the video on the TV is just blurred when the glasses are turned on. The TV never detects a 3D signal like it does when I play 3D content from my PS3 or satellite box.

I have searched the web but there's a lot of generic and conflicting information out there. Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible on the machine without running Windows?

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Because Half-SBS 3D has nothing to do with 3D digital formats (especially in the HDMI signalling), full L-R decomposing of the picture happens inside the TV set. I've not much tried it directly from my rMBP over HDMI, but it works pretty decent over AirPlay and AppleTV.
    the only problems to check are that you have no cropping happening. Check if the overscan options are disabled on Mac and the Bravia has also a setting hidden somewhere that switches on pixel-perfect reproduction. Seems to be called Full Pixel.
    The idea here is that both halves of the picture need to be split exactly in the middle of frame. The prerequisite of this is that the full 1920x1080 frame is projected on screen in full, without any cropping or extrusion.

3. DeltaHF thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link, I will give it another try.

The TV's 3D menu does have a "side-by-side" setting which I enabled while watching the video (with the two images side-by-side). It appeared to blur them on top of one another as expected, but there was no 3D effect when the glasses were turned on.